• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front hub issues

rburro2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, It's been a year and I finally got to work on this thing.
What I found: Transfer case motor stuck in 4 Hi. Explains shitty gas mileage. Driver side hub doesn't engage. Passenger side doesn't disengage. Amazing my son drives this to school every day. So I replaced the transfer case motor. Did the quick and dirty to turn this into push button style manual hubs. Drivers side works great, but passenger side still sticking. I forced some grease into the splines and tried to work it a bit. It loosened up some but still sticks.

My questions:
Is this easy to take apart to clean up and grease the splines? Does it require a special tool to disassemble?

I plan on getting a real manual locking hub kit for it soon and going to clean up and grease the splines at that time.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2000 Ranger front hubs should be "Live axle", locked full time, or you have the PVH auto hubs, these should be removed.
All 2001 Rangers and up, had Live Axle, but they started getting them as early as 1999 on some models
PVH(pulse vacuum hubs) were introduced on the 1998 Rangers, and Ford started switching to Live Axle in 1999...................that pretty much tells you how well PVH worked, lol.

Look here for trouble shooting: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/troubleshoot-fix_pvh_hubs.shtml

Look here to lock them full time, same as Live Axle: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Apr04/offroad.htm

Look here for how to install AVM manual hubs: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/AVM_hub_swap.shtml
Rangers that came with Live Axle setup, can't be retro-fitted with manual hubs, you have to swap out the front axle to do that.

This is for the '98-'00 hub bearing replacement, good pictures: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/spring07/98_00_Ranger_hub_bearing.htm

FYI, MPG change in having front hubs locked full time with transfer case in 2WD is .3MPG less, so not nothing but less than most people would think.
Axles and drive shaft have little resistance and don't weigh much.
So 3 less miles for each 10 gallons of gas, or 5.5 miles less per tank, 18gallon

Last edited:

rburro2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for all the info. Yes they were PVH auto hubs, Not anymore. The transfer case was in 4 Hi with apparently one hub engaged. At least that is how it was when I took it apart today. I am definitely going to manual locking hubs.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ron, PVH was still around in 1999, and 2000. In fact it wasn't gone completely until 2001.5.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I thought that was the case, but have read a couple of reports of stock live axles on 4.0l Rangers in 1999 and 2000, maybe part of an off-road package not sure?
I know "if its on the internet it must be true", lol, but the people relaying the info seemed credible, not that any of this really matters.

But I would think Ford did install PVH until they were low on the parts, so 2001+, but only on the 3.0l models, I think the 4.0l SOHC were all live axle, 2001 and up

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
my 2000 3.0 has the live axle. it's a June 2000 build date. Don't recall where it was built.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my 2000 3.0 has the live axle. it's a June 2000 build date. Don't recall where it was built.
Good info, thanks, first pre-2001 3.0l I have read about

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals