• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44 Torque converter and shift problems

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a '99 Ranger 3.0L 4x4, the truck runs great but when you slow down sometimes the torque converter doesn't unlock and the truck almost stalls out. Also, when you take off from a stop there is a clunk like it took the torque converter a second to unlock. I have had my trans fluid changed about a year ago, and the fluid id darkening already. There is also a hard up shift from 3-2.
I know the real only fix to this is a complete rebuild, and a new torque converter. However I was wondering if there was an additive I could possibly add to prolong the life of the trans until I can get some money saved up.
I was looking at the Zmax additive, because it is a concentrated solution I can add it right to the trans without having to remove any fluid. I was also debating on using the Lucas trans stuff, however I didn't necessarily want to drain any fluid.
Is the Zmax one good? Or should I try something else?
Thanks!
http://www.amazon.com/zMax-51-306-Transmission-Formula/dp/B00HEV2SK8

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Darker color ATF is not bad, unless it is blackish and smells burnt, lol.
All ATF should darken over time.

Automatics run on PSI(pressure) Reverse uses highest pressure which is why it is usually the first place people notice a problem, "reverse is taking longer to engage" or "no reverse"

And with all the passages and gaskets, and valves and seals, leaks happen over time and pressure drops.
Just like a clutch on a manual trans wears out, so do the gaskets, seals and valves(solenoids) in an automatic, and pressure drops.

The additives won't hurt anything, most soften seals and swell them, also gaskets, to help hold pressure better, friction modifiers to help on slipping bands, you can adjust bands yourself, access is on the outside of the trans.

Most manufacturers say no to any additives, and they are correct a properly running trans doesn't need them.

I do think they are a waste of money, but it is hard not to at least try a $20 temporary solution to a $2,000 problem, lol.

Good read here on 4R44E: http://www.sonnax.com/articles/195-troubleshooting-tips-for-the-4r44e-5r55e

A bit technical but worth the time to review.
You can rebuild your own automatic, info to do it is on the net.
All the hard work is done in the design, you just need to swap in the new parts for freshen it up

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If I add a bottle of the Lucas trans stuff, do I have to drain some fluid? Or is it alright if I don't? The reason I was thinking about the Zmax was because it is only six ounces, where as a the Lucas is 32.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes drain some fluid, you can do it from trans cooler on rad, don't have to loosen pan.

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to try the Zmax after work today, if that doesn't do anything I'm going to do the Lucas after.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If one doesn't help I doubt there would be much chance another brand would.

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Shifting feels a bit smoother after I added it. I called the manufacturer while I was at work today and the guy I spoke with said that you won't feel the effects until 500-700 miles have been driven. I guess there is a break in period for it. I bought it at work today (I work at Autozone), but I have about 60 miles on it. Hopefully it keeps getting better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals