• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help tracing wire on 83 Ranger

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
83 4cyl Ranger has a male 8 pin plug coming from the cab into the engine bay. There is a Grey/yellow wire in it that is hot on start and run but I don't know what it was originally used for and can't find it in the diagrams in the tech section. I have the female side of the plug but the wire that terminates to the Grey/yellow wire is gone.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wire is gone or cut?

Could be for an option you don't have.

Automatic or manual trans.
Automatic would have key on power for TCC

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wire has been pulled or cut from the pin that's still in the connector. Truck is a standard.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
4eye:83 4cyl Ranger has a male 8 pin plug coming from the cab into the engine bay.

Where? I don't have an 83, but would look underhood if you gave some directions as to where this particular plug is located.
I have the EVTM for 85, and would look, but will not page through 100+ pages looking w/o at least a hint.
The other wires in the assembly should give a general indication of what the missing wire was used for.
tom

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The harness comes out of the large rubber grommet on the driver side of the firewall along with a mass of other wires. 2 of the wires ran to the back of the alternator, 2 more went to the coil, I'll have to look at the rest of the wires to see where they go. Thanks Tom

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Ok.looked into the EVTM, at the figure showing the drivers side firewall and inner fender.

I have no 8-connector coming out of the firewall, and the alternator on my truck has 3 wires.
GY/Y from the ignition switch, hot in RUN/ON, go to the HEGO and to the fuse panel operating the blower/AC on one leg(BR/O) and turn/stop, hazard lamps, backup lamps(P/O H)
Regularly FoMoCo will use the same color year after year for a particular circuit. The most common example coming to mind is instrument panel illumination, which I remember is on a BL/R colored conductor in all cases I have known.

That's all folks...
tom

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I saw this a few days ago and went out to check my 2.0 wiring harness...but the whole bin it was in went off to storage...

The only 8 connector wire that I recall was actually 10 wires by the time my 88 was made...and that included all the lights, horn, main power to starter from ignition, and a few others...

Did you check the on-line manual? I know the wiring diagrams for earlier years are not very good...and Jim has them posted on the Tech Articles section...

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did my best googling before I posted. So, riddle me this, when I got my 83 it was a duraspark 2.3 but had the control box next to the battery with the mess of wires still there but disconnected and a newer ranger exhaust manifold. Would the factory setup have used an O2 sensor? The wire that I need to hook up runs to the HEGO and is Grey/yellow which is the same as this one.

So, stop typing and start hooking up wires?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Apparently, yes, some used an O2 sensor with the carb...I've never seen one and my 88 did not have an O2 sensor (when I got it) but mine was a 2.0 that had been hacked by a so-called mechanic and left for dead on the side of my driveway.

As for that mess of wires...a few people have offered to document the removal process but I've yet to see one...I still have mine and I might take a look before I send it to the scrapyard...but it was an oily mess last time I looked...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Feedback carbs used computer and O2 sensor.

If carb is swapped to non-feedback model then no O2 sensor is needed

If duraspark was disconnected then PO may have switched to HEI system using duraspark distributor and switched to adjustable(non-feedback) carb

While many switched from TFI back to duraspark, many also switched from duraspark to HEI, Chevy didn't make many good things but even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then, HEI module was one, and have to admit Corvettes and Chevelles had some nice lines, lol.

Google: duraspark hei conversion

Super simple to wire

Last edited:

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron and Mark

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to thread jack here but are the 83-84 carbed distros all duraspark? I need to pick one of those up.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals