• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 help CM issues or Shift motor

irishminion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I have been coming the ranger station for a long time I have just never needed to post until now. I love this place it's a great source of info.

My 4x4 CM went out about 5 yrs. ago on my 01' 4.0 liter auto ranger and I finally got it replaced this past month. When I installed the new CM it just kept clicking intermittently for about a min then stops. I would then switch the selector to 4wheel hi and it would just click again for another min without going into 4wheel drive. Same with 4wheel low. The lights are illuminating when the truck starts which doesn't happen with the old CM.

My thought is that the electric shift motor on the TC is stuck, would I be correct in this assumption? If I am correct would I then just follow the walkthrough to clean it and reinstall, or would it be better to just replace it?

Your help is always the best and much appreciated.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
My '98 had the exact same symtoms...turned out to be a blown fuse in the power distribution box.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The fuse was a 40 amp and also was for the back-up lights. (Power Distribution Box under the hood) Was a Maxi Fuse

irishminion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looking at the owners manual there is a 20 amp fuse for the 4x4 motor, could that be it? Difference being the year of the trucks.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Could be the difference between years. I would test all the fuses. The odd thing was that the 4x4 lights worked and I could hear the relays clicking with the blown fuse. Perhaps the fuse only supplies power to the motor.

I was about to pull my hair out when I found the fuse. I'd already been underneath trying to pull a vacuum on the automatic hubs, trying to isolate things. Good Luck!

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sorry, I mis-spoke. The fuse that popped was #27 in the cab fuse panel. It also controlled the back-up lights and several other circuits.

irishminion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
FIXED THE ISSUE!!!!

The 4x4 motor fuse was popped in the fuse panel under the hood in the engine compartment. $5.00 fuse replaced and now I have 4wd!!!! :headbang:

GeoRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having this exact same issue with my 2008 XLT 4x4. I went out for some winter wheelin and geocaching a couple months back. She switched into 4hi no problem, drove in the mountains for 8 hours. Get her back to pavement and it wouldn't disengage. All I could hear is the clicking sound in my dash, just like you mentioned. I rolled back and forth from drive to reverse and out of no where 20 mins later it went to 2wd.
Tomorrow is my first day off in a long time, so I'll have to look into the fuse box as well. If not I have read the FAQ, and see it could potentially be a couple other things. Wish me luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals