• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radiator and fan question

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
okay, im pretty sure everybody here knows that im attempting a 3.3 turbo build. i looked at my trk the other day (constantly eyeing things looking for potential hangups and fig ways around them so i can do this as smoothly as possible.) looking at my radiator and remembering how much rust etc is in it (cant use the standard drain its so nasty.) im considering upgrading my radiator. ive been digging around the forum and it seems that a 4.0 dual core radiator is the way to go, jy of course in good condition. it will fit my 3.0 w/ no problem correct? another thing, since ill be plumbing for turbo will i have to remove my standard fan and have to go to an efan for clearance? or should i stick to the mechanical fan and just go w/ a stronger fan design for better cooling efficiency? all input is greatly appreciated.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The mechanical fan will be stronger, and more efficient!

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i found an efan online thats a direct placement that pulls 1950 cfm at 2000 rpm, how much does the stock fan pull?

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
some thing to look at is the ford toruas 2 stage efan see if that fits.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im not sure but i would look for a pusher fan to get extra space behind the Rad., i think your gonna be cramped so any help would be good. Will probally have to custom make a few brackets but thats what i would do.
Beef

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your using the engine thats already in the truck, how would you not be able to fit the stock fan? eliminating the mechanical fan doesnt net you any usable space (you cant fit a turbo behind the radiator). the exhaust crossover pipe can easily be run underneath the front of the engine.

the stock fans CFM is variable. it will outperform any reasonable e-fan setup, i would reuse it because you are going to be creating a LOT of heat with 300 HP from a v6...thre last thing i would want is to run into cooling problems with it.

youll need the fan shroud from a 2-row 4.0 radiator, your stock shroud wont work.

an engine oil-to-air cooler might be a good idea as well.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i figured i could fit the plumbing around the fan just wanted to make sure, some efans are narrower thats why i was asking. that and if the efan pushed harder than the stock fan i was considering replacing it w/ something stronger. ill keep the mechanical fan maybe just get a larger diameter fan. the 4.0 dual core radiator has a tranny cooler built into/onto it, can i connect oil hoses up to it and act as an oil cooler? i personally havent seen one of those radiators, is the tranny cooler internal or external up front? if its internal i wont try to use it as an oil cooler if its external i may try it if it has some size to it. anybody know of a larger capacity oilpan for a 3.0? say a qt oversize? dont want to smoke the motor from excess heat and a lil more oil never hurt. the reason i was asking about the oil cooler is cuz i was thinking about running from my block to a cooler to the turbo then back to the block, would that work/help or would that cause a starvation problem to the turbo? dont want to smoke the turbo either...

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The tranny cooler in the radiator will not take engine oil pressure. If you think you need an engine oil cooler, I would buy one designed that way.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
thanx thats what i needed to know about the tranny cooler. ill look into an external oil cooler then. any prospects on the oil pan i asked about?

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
if you go to a larger diameter mechanical fan, the fan shroud from a dual core 4.0 rad wont work. i just swapped one in to my ranger and the stock fan fits just right with about 1/4 inch clearance all around. you would either have to custom fab a shround or run without it. as for the turbo oil cooler...i cant see why it wouldnt work if you have steady reliable pressure pushing the oil thru. i would imagine that it would need to be t'd into an existing oil line or a separate pump put in to run the oil that long a distance and safely get to the turbo ok.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i figured he might want the option to plumb in front of the engine, so getting that mechanical fan outa the way would be nice. you figure out how to put a pusher in front of the rad. and yoll have all the room in the world to plumb away.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
one problem w/ a pusher fan: im intercooling and planning on putting in an oil cooler, that and a dual core radiator, no room for it. i was going to go w/ a puller fan that was thinner to free up the space, however im going to stick to mechanical, keep it about the same size just maybe more blades as i have been reading and finding that they help pull thru all the cores better. ill simply have the turbo down low and route it to the intercooler on the side, then plumb it up the other side to the intake, which will be higher than the fan anyway. if i do the math and plan on doing the custom intake i designed it will def be tall enuff to clear the fan, ill prob have to modify the hood to make it fit. otoh, if its not feasible ill simply port a two piece aluminum intake plenum and have it mounted thru there, possibly use a phenolic spacer for extra clearance and give the runner a lil more length for more torque. as for the oil flow i was going to do an oil filter relocation kit, but place the fittings for the cooler/turbo in the same line and have them feed to the filter then back to the motor. i have a feeling tho that this may be too much stress for the pump, still pondering options. if i could get an oversized oil pan i may decide to not use a cooler and just run it from turbo to oil pan and use the other half (dual outlet relocation fitting) go to the oil filter.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
theres more than enough room for exhaust plumbing with the mechanical fan.

the stock fan is something like 18" in diameter. your going to have a hard time beating it for CFM (i dont know of any larger mechanical fan replacements and no e-fan is going to keep up with it under normal conditions). i would just use it. the upgraded radiator and an oil-to-air cooler for the engine oil should be more than enough cooling capacity. IF you still have problems, you could always add an electric pusher later (and run both a mechanical and e-fan). but i seriously doubt you'll need to.

the transmission cooler is built into the radiator. it would handle the pressure of engine oil, but its far too small for the application (3/16" if memory serves). you'll want at least 1/2" diameter hoses and fittings for engine oil.

there are no larger oil pans for the 3.0 available. if youd like more oil capacity, heres what i'd do:

buy a remote oil filter adaper w/ a motorcraft Fl-1A filter (1 quart vs stock 1/2 quart). buy a stacked tube engine oil cooler (or go with a single tube design if you want to save a little scratch). the bigger the better. plumb the supply oil from the oil filter adapter at the block, through your remote oil filter, through the oil cooler, then back to the block adapter return. the larger filter, oil cooler, and lines should give you pretty close to a 1 quart increase in capacity...plus you wont have to use a "sandwhich" adapter for the oil cooler.

for your turbo oil feed, i would install a 1/4" NPT "T" in the oil pressure fitting which is located on the block, behind the passanger side head. this is the easiest location to take oil from and will probably be closest to your turbo. for oil return i would install a fitting in the oil pan.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals