• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Compression test

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Saw a sign offering electronic compression test and decided to read about it. Can they be trusted or you still prefer taking the spark plugs off and use a dial?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Electronic is quick and works fine, but if you do have a low cylinder you will need to get your hands dirty with a gauge and some oil :)
If you are pulling plugs to add oil(wet test) might as well use a gauge at that point

And while I do trust electronic compression numbers I often don't trust the people doing the test, lol, unless it was me, and then I know for sure it was done wrong.

Electronic compression is done by the time difference on how much the crank slows down on each cylinders compression stroke, a low cylinder doesn't slow down the crank as much.
The numbers are also subject to Battery condition and/or starter motor condition.
But the same applies to mechanical gauges, slow cranking = lower numbers across the board.

Power balance test is done with engine running, it uses the crank speed, when a cylinder misfires crank speed slows momentarily.

Generally you would do a power balance test first, if a problem was seen then you would do the compression test, electronic or mechanical, to determine if compression issue was causing the problem.
Compression tends to be black or white, not intermittent, like spark or fuel can be, so once tested it can be taken off the table and you can focus on spark or fuel

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals