• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford's new idea...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I hear ya. But manufacturers have been using shitty steel and stretching it as thin as possible for decades now. When I was a kid, everyone bagged on Toyotas for having rotted wheel wells because they used cheap, thin steel with bad spot welds. Now everyone does it to pinch pennies and inflate profit margins. They could do far better without going all the way to the aluminum route, but maximum profits take precedence. Now they can jack the price by using aluminum as a selling point. It will work for a while, until people realize that when you have a fender bender, putty won’t fix it. I can only imagine what a dealer wants for a replacement aluminum body panel. :icon_surprised:
Replacement aluminum body panel? Ehh just flatten out a beer can and a bit of duct tape and its all taken care of...that's what they do with airplanes right?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Replacement aluminum body panel? Ehh just flatten out a beer can and a bit of duct tape and its all taken care of...that's what they do with airplanes right?
I think they put some gorilla glue on there too, just as a redundancy.

I mean, there is no where to pull over and check it at 12,000 feet.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I think they put some gorilla glue on there too, just as a redundancy.

I mean, there is no where to pull over and check it at 12,000 feet.
HAHA good point. :icon_rofl:

They also don't take to kindly to the propellers stopping in mid air either. Or engines exploding during flight either.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As my co-worker is fond of proudly proclaiming, “That right there is what we call a ‘farm fix!’”. :icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hear ya. But manufacturers have been using shitty steel and stretching it as thin as possible for decades now. When I was a kid, everyone bagged on Toyotas for having rotted wheel wells because they used cheap, thin steel with bad spot welds. Now everyone does it to pinch pennies and inflate profit margins. They could do far better without going all the way to the aluminum route, but maximum profits take precedence. Now they can jack the price by using aluminum as a selling point. It will work for a while, until people realize that when you have a fender bender, putty won’t fix it. I can only imagine what a dealer wants for a replacement alum.inum body panel. :icon_surprised:
I have seen some really badly crunched tailgates lately. I am not sure if steel would really take it any better but I don't remember ever seeing tailgates mangled like those with steel tailgates.

Kinda sorta not really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape

HAHA good point. :icon_rofl:

They also don't take to kindly to the propellers stopping in mid air either. Or engines exploding during flight either.
They say a propeller is a fan for the pilot. Note, if one stops spinning the pilot starts sweating. :icon_thumby:

As my co-worker is fond of proudly proclaiming, “That right there is what we call a ‘farm fix!’”. :icon_rofl:
If you see duct tape on the augers/elevators on a combine... she is either getting a little long in the tooth or does not get cleaned out and stored right. :icon_thumby:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I know this is a dead thread, but i wanna add my 2 cents...

The aluminum trucks are really just ford saying "we are to lazy to figure out rustproofing, and now we can charge you more"

Ive always felt/tbought that in the 70s ford had everyone beat on rust, dent side trucks rarely rusted to the point they were falling to pieces, they had a ton of galvenized steel and the important stuff (frame, suspension mounts, etc) held up well even to salt.

In the 80s, GM really took the lead, i still see alot of 80s square bodies that are pretty solid.

In the 90s trucks GM also beat ford for rust. Clean 88-97 Chevys are pretty easy to find, finding a rust free ford of the 92-96 vintage is quite the task. Fords paint held up better though, most GMs of the 88-98 era are down to the primer under the paint.

I think the 97-03 fords rust worse then any generation did, the 99-03 (pre cat eye) chevies rot even worse.

Also, google "04 F150 rusted frames"...bout as bad as yota.

Dodge always was inconsisant and hit or miss with rust. But the 94-01rams seem to hold up better the newer ones.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In the 90s trucks GM also beat ford for rust. Clean 88-97 Chevys are pretty easy to find, finding a rust free ford of the 92-96 vintage is quite the task. Fords paint held up better though, most GM's the 88-98 era are down to the primer under the paint.
That ain't primer, that is bare galvanized metal.

I have seen '07+ GM's with more rust (above the rear wheel wells as always) than my '02 F-150.

Cab corners and rockers on the bed are the hotspots on the '97-03's... pretty much the same as the OBS trucks but they liked to go above the wheel wells too.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
aluminum trucks rust. to death. just like steel. and they cost more then simply galvanizing steel.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That ain't primer, that is bare galvanized metal.

I have seen '07+ GM's with more rust (above the rear wheel wells as always) than my '02 F-150.

Cab corners and rockers on the bed are the hotspots on the '97-03's... pretty much the same as the OBS trucks but they liked to go above the wheel wells too.
The 97-03s, as well as 04 also seem to be way more prone to frame/structure rot then the OBS trucks

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On my brother's '97 and my '02 it has been the cab corners and front/rear rockers on the bed. Nothing major as far as floor pans and the frames look fine (well his did when he traded it in a few years ago)

Both trucks are north of 160k miles.

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
I'd like to say in the '80s Dodge had everyone beat. Their '70s trucks rusted out god awfully (ask me how I know) but when the "new" Ram trucks came out they put a lot more galvanized steel in them. Dad's '83 is out-living my '78 with ease. I've seen plenty of squarebody Chevy's with disappearing rockers and fenderwells, Fords as well. A good example is my buddy's '86 ram that sat in a field for 10 years. All that rusted out was the front of the roof and the rear fenderwells. The rest is just surface rust. Truck's got 300k miles on it now.

They all rust, how bad really depends on maintenance I do suppose, but it seems in my experience on the east coast with all 4 seasons the Dodge's have it beat. I've had many conversations about this and nobody ever agrees, but it's just what I've seen and what I've been around.

As for new trucks, I've seen all of them just fall apart. I work on fleet trucks most of the day every day, and every brand has it's bad spots for rust. Fords as always is fenderwells, chevys is bumpers, Dodge is both. The aluminum ones haven't been around enough to rust/decay yet, but I bet the bodys out-last the steel frames they're on and in a few years you'll be seeing sagging fords in non-inspecting states/counties with good bodys.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another thing too, a lot of areas don't use just salt anymore...

My grandfather's '70 Dodge has very little rust... but like most farmers back then if the roads were bad they didn't go anywhere (and they rarely took the truck unless they needed the truck anyway) so it has basically seen no salt.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Back pre 73 the trucks used such heavy steel though, rust (thru) wasnt a huge issue except maybe bed floors and floor pans. It wasnt till the 80s that it seemed things really began rotting. My 77 even is very solid except the floor pans, and its been in salt all its life. Ive driven it 5 years year around and never really washed it, and its no more rusty then it was, the frame and suspension (minus the shock mounts i replaced) are sound.

What gets me is how many of the superduties you see running around with the front bed crossmember rotted and the front of the bed sagging, i never remember any ford doing that in the past

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thickness of steel doesn't matter. Once rust starts, it's over. In a single season. The rust starts and then holds in water, which oxidizes the steel even faster.

I've had a couple GM trucks and the 88-on were the worst. Eaten up in front and rear wheel wells. My big crewcab Chevy (an '88 but was the earlier body style) was a government truck and had no rust, but was specially treated because the government bought it.

The Dodges I see from the 90's are mostly eaten up.

From what I've seen, the Fords have held up the best of that era. I haven't liked Ford cars since--ever. But Ford always did the best with trucks. I always thought they sprung their F250s too softly, but the build quality was there. Any 90's GM or Dodge I've encountered was basically destined to be a chicken coop after 10 years. Electrical issues and the interior falling apart--plus the rust.

The cool thing about Dodge is they stayed with the solid axle the longest. But that's only because of how weird a TTB handles compared to either the IFS or the solid axle.

I will say, with that in mind, when I was working in West Africa back in the early 90's we had 2 Suburbans. One was a '91 with a straight axle and the other was a '93 with IFS. The roads were totally un-maintained. Back then I was not a recreational 4x4 person, though I has 5-6 years experience in offroad vehicles--big ones, in every clime and place. Anyway, if you got the choice, you wanted to be in the IFS Suburban. Less getting thrown back and forth--violently.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thickness of steel doesn't matter.
Not directly.

Early imported cars used a thinner steel of a different composition that came out to be as strong as thicker American steel... but had nowhere near the corrosion resistance.

Aluminum sounds great and while IMO it is more stable than steel it has issues too. I kept having a tire go down on my Ranger, in 4 days it would be completely flat. Aluminum wheel was corroded on the bead all around both sides and lost the seal around a wheel weight.

And it does funky things when combined with steel, it will be interesting to see how GM's aluminum bed with a steel floor works out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals