• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 bronco II surging, hesitation, etc..

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 86 bronco II with 2.9l. It is hesitating, surging, and shutting off randomly. I had this problem last year. At the time I ended up replacing the Distributor cap, rotor, and ignition control module. I pulled some codes that pointed to the egr system. Then replaced some vacuum lines running to and from EGR, the EGR solenoid, but it didn't seem to help until I replaced the EGR valve. Everything seemed ok, but now its starting again and worse. I've pulled the KOEO codes again and I get 34(o) and 67(o). Also 63(c) and 32(c), which is what was in memory.

My book says 34(o) is "EGR control circuit fault" or "Defective EGR pressure transducer sensor" I guess that is the EGR Sensor? or?
I don't understand what code 67(o) is. I tried unplugging the EGR sensor to see if it made a difference and it did not.

Just wanted to get an idea of what I should do to figure this thing out.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Codes

I get code 67 every time I pull codes with the trans in neutral. Now I always make sure that the AC is off and the trans is in neutral first. It looks like 32 and 34 are related to the EGR valve position sensor (EVP), but I'd probably change the EVP and recheck your codes before replacing the TP sensor (code 63). You might check your PCV valve, crankcase breather, and related hoses for leaks also.

If you figure out what is causing the hesitation and surging please post your solution. I've been trying to figure out what is causing mine to act in a similar way for a while now (it runs rich and all sensors have been replaced, yet no codes other than 11).

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
11 is system ok! ha.. Maybe its one of the fuel pumps, not sure if they throw codes.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I don't think fuel pumps throw codes, but mine was doing the same thing and the fuel pump in the frame rail was bad causing the problem.

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
So I put on a new EGR Sensor and no dice. Still getting a KOEO code of 34o, defective egr sensor or egr circuit fault. I checked the wiring harness from egr sensor plug and egr solenoid plug back to computer on all wires and everything checks out(eec, sensor, & solenoid unplugged). Checking for ground faults, only the red wire from solenoid read in mega ohms across ground, doesn't seem like a fault to me(eec, sensor, & solenoid unplugged). Is there anyway to check across egr sensor leads? or the solenoid?

I've replaced all vacuum lines on the egr system. What is the box under the intake breather that the red vacuum lines from solenoid go into. Could something be wrong there?

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Egr

Did you check the EGR valve (by applying vacuum/suction), and the port that leads from the EGR valve to the throttle body? Over time that port gets clogged with carbon, etc, from the exhaust gasses passing through it.

If you're talking about the box that is directly underneath the air filter housing, it's a vacuum reservoir. If it doesn't hold vacuum, that would be a problem. On my '87 (with a 2.9), vacuum lines go from the front left intake manifold vacuum tree to the front vacuum reservoir port, the rear vacuum reservoir port to the lower EGR solenoid port, and the upper EGR solenoid port to the diaphragm of the EGR valve. The EGR position sensor connects to the EGR port that has exhaust pressure on it. I realize that you may already know all this. When you started this thread mine was throwing a code 33, which went away after replacing the EGR solenoid, so I know this configuration works.

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
I checked the vacuum box under breather and it looks fine. Re-checked all vacuum lines. Replaced lines and grommet on pcv valve and cleaned checked valve, its fine. I pulled the egr valve and checked it, seems to be functioning I can hear the diaphram move when I suck on the vacuum line. Ports are clean, I pulled the port on manifold for egr and its clean. Engine still surges.

I pulled the egr solenoid and checked the plug to see what voltage the cpu was sending it, I got 13.4v, so I applied batterry to it and there was no click. Got a new one and put on, seems better except it idles high and oscillates. Seems like it wants to surge, and I'm getting code 34o still. I checked this new one with 12v and it doesn't click either. I also tried to blow through it with and with out power and it doesn't matter, seems like its not working either???

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
I was able to fix the problem a couple weeks ago. It ended up being the way the wiring harness pulling down on the connector for the egr solenoid. Not sure why, but there wasn't enough wire and it was causing some kind of loose connection. I pulled the wires out of the connector and cleaned them up, then pulled back some of the tape freeing up slack in the harness for the connector. Haven't had any problems, smooth running. Funny to cause it doesn't run as hot now, I guess EGR causes engine to run hotter if its always open?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals