• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 after everything that I've been through still nothing.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been having a hell of a time with my ranger. Short story, I was a victim of a hate crime at my college and my truck was vandalized at school by social justice warrior students, who thought the truck was owned by someone, who turned out to not be the case. They based their assumptions off of how the truck looks. It's old, and has huge tires on it a USMC sticker, they made up a picture in their heads as to who they thought the owner must be.

Fast forward three nearly four years later. And this is what I have done to try to get the truck running smoothly again.

Replaced the busted out windows
Brought new tires (old mickey's were slashed)
Dropped my fuel tank and cleaned it out.
Flushed out my fuel lines
Replaced my inline fuel pump
The in tank fuel pump
Fuel filter
new FPR
Did a tune up plugs and wires

Things that had to be done from it sitting while I gathered money and tried to fight the college to take responsibility.
New thermostat (other one was sized)
New clutch, slave cly
And flywheel

Fast forward to today. And sometimes it will fire right up, if you hit it with my starting fluid which screams fuel problem. BUT I have 35 PSI at the rails with the KOEF. My fuel injectors are pulsing, I put my node lights on them there all firing. I have a spare ECU that I use as a control, to see if my current ECU was bad. I checked my voltage readout on my TPS sensor (because it was hard to get it to idle) It was out of specs so I replaced it. My IAC is working fine. My timing is dead on. I even went ahead and replaced my timing chain because it was about that time for it to be replaced anyways.

The only thing that I have left in my head as to why my truck doesn't want to fire up on it's own is maybe my fuel injectors are clogged?
I am so depresate to get my truck back on the road, I've been through so much so far with my dear truck that I'm at my wits end as to what else it could be.:bawling: I just want my baby back dam-mit!!!!!!!!!

Oh and yes I have spark and compression.

Last edited:

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is
fuel injectors full of crap maybe

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is
pull top plentim .fuel rail and have a look

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
fuel injectors full of crap maybe
Yea that's the only thing I can think of that is left to do. I was thinking about just cleaning the injectors. But it may be more cost effective to just buy a whole set at $54 dollars. :/

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Does it run fine once it starts up? If so, the fuel injectors are likely just fine and replacing them won't do anything.

How does the spark look?
Is it bright blue or dark orange?
Have you checked the points in the distributor?
Have you tested the TFI and the pickup coil inside the distributor?
Will the truck start more easily if you push start it?
How do the batter terminals and engine grounds look?

Sometimes when an engine is being cranked by the electric starter, the voltage drops enough that you get really weak spark or no spark at all. I had this problem with a Bronco 2 years ago. I would also check the resistance between all the wires that lead into the distributor from the distributor side to where the pig tail plugs into the main harness. If the shielded ground in that harness is cracked/broken even just a little bit you will get very weak spark and intermittent spark.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does it run fine once it starts up? If so, the fuel injectors are likely just fine and replacing them won't do anything.

How does the spark look?
Is it bright blue or dark orange?
Have you checked the points in the distributor?
Have you tested the TFI and the pickup coil inside the distributor?
Will the truck start more easily if you push start it?
How do the batter terminals and engine grounds look?

Sometimes when an engine is being cranked by the electric starter, the voltage drops enough that you get really weak spark or no spark at all. I had this problem with a Bronco 2 years ago. I would also check the resistance between all the wires that lead into the distributor from the distributor side to where the pig tail plugs into the main harness. If the shielded ground in that harness is cracked/broken even just a little bit you will get very weak spark and intermittent spark.
Hiya, yup my spark is bright blue, my cap and rotor are new, plugs and wires new, coil is new as well (replaced them when I did a tune up). Battery is new, connections are tight, and clean. Grounds are good. checked connections with a ohm meter. TFI is new I had a spare laying around along with a new dizzy.

For a bit it would start and I would have to baby the throttle until it warmed up or it would bog down and shut off. That is when I tested the TPS sensor and found that it was bad. I had also ruled out the injectors when it was starting with fluid. Then I didn't touch the truck for about a week. I went back to get it started and it wouldn't start. I hooked up the fuel pressure tester to see were my fuel pressure was at and I had zero at the rail. I remembered that the students had put crap in my tank and figured that it may have caused my regulator to fail. Because both New fuel pumps turn on, prime. I replaced my regulator and rechecked my fuel pressure. I then had 35PSI at the rails.
Then I went to start the truck after replacing the FPR and prime the fuel system a few times before starting and it wouldn't start. Sprayed some starting fluid it wants to start and catch so bad but chokes out. That is when I assumed that whatever crap was in the tank, before I dropped and cleaned it out and replaced my fuel pumps and filter must have moved it's way to my injectors after I had replaced the rest of my fuel system?
( I assumed this because the shops and tow drivers had tried to start my truck many times when I had the windows and tires replaced, that is before I found out something was put in the tank)

Last edited:

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh I can't pop start my truck, I'm strong but not that strong. I can not move it while it's parked in the grass. I'm by myself, no help. My grandmother can't do anything and the rest of my family is beyond useless. Unless it has to do with watching tv and complaining.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went ahead and ordered some fuel injectors.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
update, I pulled the injectors today and they were all trashed. Tons of stuff stuck inside the filter top. Rusted bottoms and all around garbage. Happy I went with my gut and pulled them for inspection. The injectors I brought I have to return. The rebuild quality on them are horrible. I would love to replace the fuel rail too, but haven't been able to locate one. New ones don't exist anymore.

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is
my 88 was same way after it sat 2 years. fuel rail was full of crap too

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 88 was same way after it sat 2 years. fuel rail was full of crap too
Did you reuse your old rails? or were you able to find some new ones? I want some new rails wicked bad, but can't find any.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Replaced the fuel injectors, I have 35 solid PSI at the rail. Sprayed some starter fliud and nothing still won't fire up. Any suggestions? Anyone please!!

I'm going to recheck my timing to make sure that I am not timed on exhaust stroke.

mplummer08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry about your luck! I'm no expert but when is the last time you checked your spark and compression? It seems like you have the fuel system right where it needs to be (assuming you got the injectors plugged back in and are firing). Also, it's unlikely but is there anything blocking the air intake?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry about your luck! I'm no expert but when is the last time you checked your spark and compression? It seems like you have the fuel system right where it needs to be (assuming you got the injectors plugged back in and are firing). Also, it's unlikely but is there anything blocking the air intake?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Nothing is blocking the air intake. I have the tb open right now (took the intake pipe off). I have spark I haven't checked compression in awhile. But here's the thing, it was running just fine, with the help of starter fluid a few weeks ago, sounded healthy and idled great. After I replaced the AIC, then whatever was in my fuel lines from sitting for years clogged up the FPR and then the injectors once I replaced the FPR.

I put the new injectors in the truck and just finished checking my timing which is spot on, and still nothing.:icon_confused: I'm at a loss right now.

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing is blocking the air intake. I have the tb open right now (took the intake pipe off). I have spark I haven't checked compression in awhile. But here's the thing, it was running just fine, with the help of starter fluid a few weeks ago, sounded healthy and idled great. After I replaced the AIC, then whatever was in my fuel lines from sitting for years clogged up the FPR and then the injectors once I replaced the FPR.

I put the new injectors in the truck and just finished checking my timing which is spot on, and still nothing.:icon_confused: I'm at a loss right now.
Have you tried checking spark at each plug wire ? Do you have a strong spark ? What is your battery voltage before you try starting the engine ? Try shooting carb cleaner in the TB for a few seconds before starting it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals