• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NEED HELP Engine Misfire on 2000 Ranger 5.0L V8

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Couldn't try the other ECM due to PATS and the inability to add a key with my programmer (Ford issue). I think I'm going to yank the intake tomorrow and replace the gaskets, inspect it closely and hope for the best.
Do you have a SCT tuner? If so I can e-mail you the tune I run with the PATS disabled. I can't help but think it could be something in the ECM or the EGR set up you are running.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, I can't fix it.
Do you have a SCT tuner? If so I can e-mail you the tune I run with the PATS disabled. I can't help but think it could be something in the ECM or the EGR set up you are running.
Sadly, I had an XCAL II up until about 6 months ago, but I sold it. Thanks for the offer.

This ECM ran perfect in the last vehicle and it's been in attic storage for 5 years in dry Phoenix, AZ. I feel it's unlikely it is the problem. I just wanted to rule it out.

The lack of EGR keeps bouncing around in my head too, but I keep coming back to the fact that it should affect both banks if that were the case and the fuel trim is only out of whack for Bank1. The other thing is that I've got a 99 Ranger with 3.0L that had the 2004 intake and TB installed on it when I bought it. It has no provision for EGR on it, so I did the same dummy on the DPFE for the computer that I did on my V8. It has no issues with idle after the first 8-10 seconds, it has great acceleration and throws no codes.

Hence why I'm going to try the intake today. Probably for nothing, but what's $34 and 5 hours for confidence?

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Sadly, I had an XCAL II up until about 6 months ago, but I sold it. Thanks for the offer.

This ECM ran perfect in the last vehicle and it's been in attic storage for 5 years in dry Phoenix, AZ. I feel it's unlikely it is the problem. I just wanted to rule it out.

The lack of EGR keeps bouncing around in my head too, but I keep coming back to the fact that it should affect both banks if that were the case and the fuel trim is only out of whack for Bank1. The other thing is that I've got a 99 Ranger with 3.0L that had the 2004 intake and TB installed on it when I bought it. It has no provision for EGR on it, so I did the same dummy on the DPFE for the computer that I did on my V8. It has no issues with idle after the first 8-10 seconds, it has great acceleration and throws no codes.

Hence why I'm going to try the intake today. Probably for nothing, but what's $34 and 5 hours for confidence?
You just need to hang in there and keep eliminating one thing at a time. I had a real good miss when I first fired up mine. Then I realized I was running off the 3.0L ECM by mistake. I swapped in the correct one for the 5.0 and things cleared right up!

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You just need to hang in there and keep eliminating one thing at a time. I had a real good miss when I first fired up mine. Then I realized I was running off the 3.0L ECM by mistake. I swapped in the correct one for the 5.0 and things cleared right up!

Thanks for the encouragement! I replaced the lower intake gaskets and plenum gasket today. Didn't see anything obvious, but just in case, I swapped the injectors from Bank1 to Bank2 and vise-versa to see if my problem moves.

I'm going to contact the guy that deleted all of the auto trans code and PATS for me last time and see about getting the other ECM flashed.

Next thing I think I'll try the harness.

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Who did your auto trans delete? Btw do you have a leak down tester? They will show you more the a compression test.

Last edited:

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Who did your auto trans delete? Btw do you have a leak down tester? They will show you more the a compression test.
Adam Marrer in NY. His website is http://www.popsracing.com. I got his name after doing many searches online in 2010 as the go to guy at the time.

And no on a leak down tester.

mikesfiero

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had a similar problem after installing my M112. It did turn out to be a vacuum leak at the intake. You will not see a drop in ST or LT fuel trims just revving the engine up. (you will see a drop at first) I have a Zeitronix Data logger with digital gauge set up in my truck. If you rev up an engine with no load, the intake vacuum does not decrease like it would driving under acceleration. In fact, when I'm driving on the hiway, my vacuum is higher than at idle. I would take it for a drive (with a friend) and have him watch the fuel trims as you accelerate from a stop a few times. In the end, I ended up making a cheap intake smoker using a new paint can, charcoal, and some baby oil. I blocked off the intake hose with a PVC cap and plumbed into one of the vacuum ports on the intake (supercharger) you can instantly tell where the leaks are. The worst one was the intake gasket on the drivers side had slipped down slightly exposing one of the intake ports on the head. Sealed all the leaks and now my fuel trims are perfect. Might be worth a shot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals