• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OMG I love this tranny......5r110!!!

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I'm moving some 2500 miles towing a b2 and I rented a penske 16 foot Ford e350 v10 5r110 (90% sure on the tranny I hope it's not 6r140 if so that's OK because I'm pretty sure they work pretty much the same just one less gear)

In tow haul mode it is amazing!!!!! I want one!!!!

I have towed my fare share (infact I haven't towed in a while and I have realized I miss rowing even if its a moving van with super long wheel base and short trailer its nice) with auto and manual transmissions and I have got to say this is the best auto I have towed with.

Do any of you have one in there truck? How do you like it?

I tried to upload a picture from my phone but itbdisnt work I'll add when I can get to my computer.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ha-ha looks like it. Reguadless its amazing. I'm in love!!!!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been convinced for 20 years that autos can be better than manuals. Once the engine controller took over the transmission instead of using mechanical vacuum and rpm signals to control the tranny--game over for manuals. Auto's can shift instantly, the pressure can be high when it needs to be to ensure a solid clamp, and low when a smooth engagement is right. Everything is better--and that's why the manual shift isn't available in many new trucks.

But I'm a hooligan. I don't own an automatic--well except my E350 Powerstroke van I don't use anymore. I drive a Mazdaspeed 3, a Ranger 5-speed, a schoolbus camper with a Fuller 6-speed and a bunch of motorcycles. But the new autos are better in every way, except the damn fun factor in it.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IBut the new autos are better in every way, except the damn fun factor in it.
Yeah that's the problem it's not fun. And I think most people are just too stupid and lazy to drive a manual transmission. My gf refuses to drive one after she lost her keys to her VW Passat and was forced to drive my 2000 B2500 to work.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You realize you just called your girlfriend stupid and lazy? lol

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is why she is soon to be my ex-gf and she knows it!:yahoo:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In my experience electronic trans are great for learning your driving habits for 95% of the time. But when you go to jump into traffic or start out towing something they are bumbling idiots throwing shifts at you in places as they would when you are putting around.

My C5 shifts like it should, if I am not getting on it the vacuum tells it when it needs to shift, when I am getting on the vacuum is different as is when it needs to shift... it doesn't overthink it.

And it has a nice crispness. It doesn't shift so hard it chirps the belt like my F-150 with a tuner on tow/haul but it doesn't mush in either.

I am sure the newer electronic trans are better but my 2002 is still a long ways from when they started putting computers on them and IMO is by no means perfect with its adaptive strategy.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Now if I could get one behind a 460 or 4r100 I would be in heaven FYI diesels are over rated unless you pull 75% of the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals