• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 misfire on cylinder 3

Zak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for looking.

Had a problem previously that was causing me starting problems however i replaced the battery and they all went away.

Basically, now I am having a bit of bucking and stuttering when I am accelerating. It idles fine it revs up fine when when it isn't in gear.

Got the code P0303 which was cylinder 3 misfire.

So far I replaced the spark plugs and the fuel filter (only because i had them on hand and ready to be done)

Otherwise I checked compression seemed ok, checked for vacuum leaks in the intake nadda i could find. I checked out the plug wires (which are only 6 months old if that) and they were good as well.

The only thing I can figure is the coil pack and I would test it for ohms but I've read other threads in other forums that sometimes the coil will appear perfectly fine according to a VOM but when a load is put on it, it craps out. Was hoping for any thoughts.

Thanks again.

Maritime Storm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Saturn
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Dirty injector in that cylinder perhaps? What was the readings from the compression test?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I would have a look at the injector first, you can even swap #3 and #2 to see if misfire follows injector, if you do swap disconnect the neg. battery terminal while doing the work(at least 5 min.) this will reset the CEL so you can see if misfire moves to another cylinder.

The tip of an injector sprays fuel into the intake then it is sucked into the cylinder, if the tip is dirty the fuel drips more than sprays, which is fine when there is no load, but under load the mixture is off because all the fuel is not sucked into the cylinder.
A really dirty injector can even limit fuel flow thru it.

Seafoam in the gas tank once a year can help keep injectors clean.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals