• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel Swap/Can't calibrate speedometer

Draco713

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Everyone has a story and you have no idea what it is
After a couple of weeks of moral dilemma (not to mention concerns the transmission shift timining would become a problem as the time went on), I researched and gave in to obtaining the Superchips tool. It should be here by this weekend and I will post here how it goes. Very grateful to everyone for their suggestions. I ordered Superchips 1842, let's see what they actually send. Again, I will post once I get to a point I can testify to the value and validity of the tool.

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Am I correct that as long as you have obd-II a programmer can recalibrate your speedometer? I have a 2000 and am planning on plus sizing by fall

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, but not all programmers are created equal. You have to be sure the unit can do the calibration.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Remember, you get what you pay for.

Draco713

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Okay, after some tweaking, I actually had to calibrate the superchips approximately an inch to an inch and a half larger than what the actual diameter of my new tires and wheels were. But now the speedometer and odometer or more accurate. So, in theory lol, the superchips was worth the money because it was easier, faster, and less of a headache!

The next nightmare is to get the TPMS sensors and bands for the new wheels (because dealer didn't give me the sensors off the old rims and moronic me neglected to demand them!). For now I'm getting used to that light one of my coworkers called "the horshoe light" being on constantly.

Cranked torsion bar and lifted about 2" and just for info I discovered shocks are recommended every 50k miles. I learned this after swapping mine out for HDs and realizing the old ones were shot AFTER taking them out. No wonder it rode like crap, lol. (Yes, alignment performed after the torsion bar crank) and for anyone doing a wheel swap, get it aligned!!! Your camber and caster will be knocked out of whack with the increase/decrease in tire size!

Thanks to everyone for their help!:yahoo:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oh hey, BTW, shocks are recommended to be replaced every 50K miles. We just don't recommend them because they are expensive and then people get upset and scream that nothing is wrong with them.

Draco713

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Oh hey, BTW, shocks are recommended to be replaced every 50K miles. We just don't recommend them because they are expensive and then people get upset and scream that nothing is wrong with them.
I hear ya there, but I guess I'm one to stress safety since the truck at only 53k miles would hit a bump and want to shift lanes in one hop. I have seen them as cheap as $35/each but having been a minimum wager for years, I get it, it can get pricey.:icon_surprised:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals