• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.6 Dohc Swap

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Figured I would post a thread on my project. It's a Mazda B2500 that will be getting a 4.6 DOHC from a 98 lincoln Mark VIII. I actually have a 94 Mark VIII drivetrain also that was originaly going to go in, but the OBD II and lower mileage on the 98 convinced me to go that direction. I'm hoping to keep the budget somewhat low, at least until I have a running drivetrain. I'll try and post up pix as I go along.

[/IMG]

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Cool! I will be interested to see how this goes. That engine is pretty high performance. Isn't good for offroad crawling due to the torque being low until you get the RPMs up, but would work great for mudding and street driving.

You also have the option of swapping a Kenne Bell 5-psi supercharger on it. The kit goes for around $5000.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ill be watching this as well... would be a tight fit but... if it fits, NICE!

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Theres someone else here thats stuffed a 4.6 into their truck, so it can be done.

Good luck and can't wait to see it finished :icon_thumby:

SlowWhiteB2500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Definitely going to be watching this!

The 4.6 DOHC's are AMAZING motors. Respond very well to modifications, and can take boost like nothing

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hopefully this one sticks around! There seems to be alot of people scheming up the 4.6 swaps, but only one person has ever posted pics to my knowledge. Those that claim to have done it seem to lack pictures ;) What year of truck? Hopefully not a TTB front end. 4x4 or 2wd?

We came really close to doing a 4.6 swap when I built my truck. I know a guy with a 4.6 DOHC out of a wrecked '03 Cobra with the blower still on top just sitting around. But, clearing that fatty 4.6 into the narrow Ranger chassis is a tough battle. Those are a WIDE, WIDE motor for this small of truck. The results should be impressive if you do it though!

Last edited:

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Hopefully this one sticks around! There seems to be alot of people scheming up the 4.6 swaps, but only one person has ever posted pics to my knowledge. Those that claim to have done it seem to lack pictures ;) What year of truck? Hopefully not a TTB front end. 4x4 or 2wd?

We came really close to doing a 4.6 swap when I built my truck. I know a guy with a 4.6 DOHC out of a wrecked '03 Cobra with the blower still on top just sitting around. But, clearing that fatty 4.6 into the narrow Ranger chassis is a tough battle. Those are a WIDE, WIDE motor for this small of truck. The results should be impressive if you do it though!
You are correct that there is not many pictures of this out there. There is someone that has done it and documented it very nicely though. I would never have attempted this if I didn't see it fit for myself.

I've been wanting to do something like this for sometime now and want to make it an enjoyable experience. With a project like this it seems like there is more work in the planning and research than than the hands on portion.

F350n4.6Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 from police interceptor
Transmission
Manual
finally more 4.6 swaps, I am getting ready to fire my 4.6 in the next coming week or so, check out my 4.6 swap into my gen 2 4x4. be sure to post up pics of your project! :icon_cheers:

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here is one in a '85' using a '98' 4.6
http://www.cardomain.com/failover/error.html

GregR did one in a 2000 Ranger w/torson bar suspension.
http://281ranger.homestead.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052265

Dave
Yeah that's the one third-gen I've seen pictures of... I want to see one in a second-gen TTB 4x4! I'm quite thoroughly convinced it won't fit without some pretty serious reworking of the engine bay and whatnot. The first and third-gen torsion front-ends seem to have alot more "V8 room" than the second gen.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
finally more 4.6 swaps, I am getting ready to fire my 4.6 in the next coming week or so, check out my 4.6 swap into my gen 2 4x4. be sure to post up pics of your project! :icon_cheers:
Wait! Pics?! Pics?! I gotta see this. I didn't read this before I posted above!

F350n4.6Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 from police interceptor
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32615

Its about 80% done right now, still have to put on a lift kit and build driveshafts. More pics to come on Mon. It is a 95 4.6, 97 M5od from a F150, bw1356 from a 90ish truck, D35 and 8.8 disc exploder rear. It barely fit and I mean by fractions of an inch, and severe heater box mods.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
With a project like this it seems like there is more work in the planning and research than than the hands on portion.
That is so correct. I spent months planning the wiring. Had it all drawn out on paper before I started. Because of this it looks factory and I believe everything works (haven't tested the air bags).

I'm interested to see how it goes with the EEC-V system. Since it's not an issue in my state I opted to change the truck to the '94 Mark VIII's EEC-IV.

Hopefully before too long you have something that looks like this:

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
That is so correct. I spent months planning the wiring. Had it all drawn out on paper before I started. Because of this it looks factory and I believe everything works (haven't tested the air bags).

I'm interested to see how it goes with the EEC-V system. Since it's not an issue in my state I opted to change the truck to the '94 Mark VIII's EEC-IV.

In my state as far as engine swaps are concerned it would have to pass for the year of the vehicle if the engine in the truck was older than the vehicle itself. Don't think this would have been a problem though.

I actually opted for the 98 drivetrain, didn't cost me anything and has the much better transmission, also about 50K less than the 94 drivetrain I have now. The engine is not as powerfull as the first gen though due to the intake.

I have all of the wiring from the Mark and have laid it out, going to try and keep as much of it as possible and debating whether to locate the PCM in the cab or in the factory 4cyl. location.

//[/IMG]

Last edited:

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
This is what mine looked like about half way through splicing the two harnesses together. I moved the PCM to the stock Ranger location and routed the engine harness under the intake to clean up the top of the engine. The worst part was tracing all the circuits on the diagrams and figuring out which Mark VIII wire connected to which Ranger wire. You can go through a bottle of asprin very quickly.

Your '98 intake at least puts the throttle body in a better location than the '94. You could put a Cobra intake on it for not too much money.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals