• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck Fan Clutch

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
How much power will I gain from replacing my stuck fan clutch with an electric fan. Im more worried about gaining power then mpg, although im sure ill gain both..id love for my 2.9 to be a little bit more ballsy:thefinger:

DHEM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im guessing 1 to 2 hp max

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Any from 5% to 10% more power, for just replacing the stuck clutch fan. For an e-fan conversion, maybe 1% or 2%. A working fan clutch doesn't rob to much power, but when its engaged, it a power robber. I've recently replaced mine fan clutch and the new one does fine. Engages the fan when its hot outside and I've sitting in traffic. But once I'm going and got the air flowing, it disengages.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Any from 5% to 10% more power, for just replacing the stuck clutch fan. For an e-fan conversion, maybe 1% or 2%. A working fan clutch doesn't rob to much power, but when its engaged, it a power robber. I've recently replaced mine fan clutch and the new one does fine. Engages the fan when its hot outside and I've sitting in traffic. But once I'm going and got the air flowing, it disengages.
Same here. I bought a Made in China POS from Autozone that wouldn't disengage, and my truck was greatly deprived of power. I would suggest buying a Hayden fan clutch, they are Made in the USA still.

noahkenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I replaced my mechanical fan with an electric fan on my 89 2.3l a couple years ago. I had a couple of electric fans off of a chevy cavailer and was bored one weekend so I installed one of them. Havent actually measured MPG since the swap but I would say 1 to 2 MPG better. Cant really tell any HP difference since the 2.3 didnt have any to begin with. The a/c does work better at a stand still but the electric fan is pretty hard on the alternator. I got a universal fan controller at autozone for about 20 bucks which is adjustable. Overall I am satisfied with it.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Man, I don't have any personal experience, but from what I've read, I'd think you'd love it for the fewer dB's.

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The only experience I've had with an electric fan is the one I installed on my '79 F-150 with the 400M. At first, I had it on a toggle-switch, but after it drained the battery once when I forgot to turn it off, I got a temp-controller. Worked great after that, and never once killed the battery.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Same here. I bought a Made in China POS from Autozone that wouldn't disengage, and my truck was greatly deprived of power. I would suggest buying a Hayden fan clutch, they are Made in the USA still.
Yep, thats the one I have. Hayden's Imperial fan clutch, from Advance Auto.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
Electric fans are so much more quiet. I say just put one in for that reason.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals