• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How and what should I do to my Ranger

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need some help. I have a 1987 Ford Ranger XLT manuel five speed 4x4, with the 2.9. I would like to do some more off roading and LOTS of mudding so I wanted to put a 3" body lift and a 6" suspension lift and put like 33's or maybe 35's on it. But I don't know exactly what I need to do, and I'd like to do it myself. It is already geared to high so I was gonna change the rears anyway but I'm not sure what gears or anything to use. So yeah, I know you should change the rears for off roading and stuff and you need extensions and special stuff for the drive shaft and shifter but I'm not sure exactly what I need or how to do it so.....

Thanks in advance!

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Welcome to the site.

I suggest spending some time doing some reading in a few different areas of the site to get an idea what other people have done that works for them. A good spot to start is the RBVs Under Construction subforum. There, members have threads dedicated to their own build. You can get a lot of ideas from there. There's also a suspension subforum and you might check that out as well. Just go to the main forum page and scroll down until you get to the areas that I'm referring to. Good luck with your build and I hope to see you start your own thread in the RBVs Under Construction!

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i think you should post up some pics

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome!! I posted like the same thing when i joined :icon_thumby:

I decided Mudding isnt the best for youre truck so i changed my idea of doing that, But If you wanna do alot of it Id build a Skid Plate that fits most of the bottom youre truck, Rocks and youre truck dont mix, same with mud.
Swap a 4.0 L in.
put 4.10 axles in.
after you mudd i know it looks cool with it caked on there, i suggest washing it off the day of or the next day.
Also look for build threads. People usually have them listed in their Signature, like mine.

-Ryan

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How hard is a 4.0 (is it the explorer 4.0?) swap, cause I don't want to do to much to the truck? I'm building a Nova so that's the one I'm doing engine work on and all, and swaps.

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, thanks guys. I really know what I won't to do I just don't know exactly how and what I need. This is what I want so far. And I'll try to get some pics.

3" Body Lift
6" Suspension Lift
Like, IDK, 30's on up TSL swampers
Cold air intake (maybe turbo but IDK cause I'd have to re-build the engine for that)
Headers and exhaust system
New rears and stuff
And new heads since the ones tend to crack and the valve covers leak anyway.

Thanks!

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Use the "Search" function on this website.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, thanks guys. I really know what I won't to do I just don't know exactly how and what I need. This is what I want so far. And I'll try to get some pics.

3" Body Lift
6" Suspension Lift
Like, IDK, 30's on up TSL swampers
Cold air intake (maybe turbo but IDK cause I'd have to re-build the engine for that)
Headers and exhaust system
New rears and stuff
And new heads since the ones tend to crack and the valve covers leak anyway.

Thanks!
You are going to have to replace your axles... The stock axles in a 87 ranger wont last long with 33" tires. Axles out of an Explorer are your best bet.
A 4.0 would be a good upgrade if you need more power than your 2.9l puts out. Trying to mod the 2.9l is a waste of time, you will just crack heads on it if you try to get more power from it. I wouldn't even spend the time replacing the heads just because the valve covers leak, run that engine into the ground then replace it.
The stock intake IS a cold-air intake, but if you are planning on doing anything off-road, you will want to modify it, as it draws air quite low to the ground. I recommend a Cowl snorkel - see the Tech library, or use the search.

If you can find it, buying a cheap Explorer is the best way to upgrade your truck. You can use the rear leafs, front coils, both axles, and the engine/tranny/tcase, all of which would be upgrades in strength over your Ranger.

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
BTW, the V6 in it is the most modified V6 in north America. It's because its ALL cast Iron so if you replace the heads with higher performance ones ( the old ones tend to crack and leak because of a bad design the werent molded right) Since it's all made out off one type of metal it expands and contracts at the same rate.Thats why I figured I could re-build it and turbo or supercharge it. But you probably know more. The only problem is, I don't know how or what this stuff is that you wan tme to do. What year explorer?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
91 to 01 Explorer's have the 31 spline 8.8 axle. It is stronger but needs the axle seats flipped and the right shock mounts put on. If you go 95+ you can get disc brakes if you like.

While you are correct about the 2.9, you have to actually know what you are doing inside an engine to properly mod the 2.9. Most people come in here with no clue, not knowing a head bolt from a dick up the rear, and wanting to build another 300 horse onto their 2.9, so we tell them to throw a 4.0 in because it bolts in, and with an 89 to 92, it plugs right in with the donor's headlight harness. It's easier than explaining to them what needs to be done to do it right. Sounds like you are already miles ahead of those guys, you just need to learn the specifics of these trucks.

Go poke around the forum, look through the build threads, look through the library, use the search function a lot.

Last edited:

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
91 to 01 Explorer's have the 31 spline 8.8 axle. It is stronger but needs the axle seats flipped and the right shock mounts put on. If you go 95+ you can get disc brakes if you like.

While you are correct about the 2.9, you have to actually know what you are doing inside an engine to properly mod the 2.9. Most people come in here with no clue, not knowing a head bolt from a dick up the rear, and wanting to build another 300 horse onto their 2.9, so we tell them to throw a 4.0 in because it bolts in, and with an 89 to 92, it plugs right in with the donor's headlight harness. It's easier than explaining to them what needs to be done to do it right. Sounds like you are already miles ahead of those guys, you just need to learn the specifics of these trucks.

Go poke around the forum, look through the build threads, look through the library, use the search function a lot.

cant you use the axles and carrier in a ranger 8.8 housing?:icon_confused:

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay thanks. I have built a 302 and stuff but I just am kinda new to off road. I mean I've done it but I want to do more. Like you can just throw any suspension lift kit on it but if you don't do it right no telling how long it will last. So, yeah I know some about cars and engines I just need to know more about building off road trucks.

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anywhere someone could show me exacly what needs to be done. I havn't don much suspension work.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"

coNtReeboyAlone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey y'all, I'm back. I replaced the body mounts and put a 3" body lift on my Ranger, only problem is, I don't know how to bring the bumpers up, or what to do to make that look better. Can anyone help me with this?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals