• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 cracked block or head? head gasket? freeze plug?

blue_strat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
90 Ranger ext cab 4x4, 2.9 5-speed.
water in oil, yet no compression loss, 125+psi all cylinders. engine possibly overheated.

head gasket? cracked head or block? freeze plug? :bawling:

I've never tore into a 2.9 and don't know all the tell tale signs, characteristics, block and head structure(s), weak and or strong points, etc.

any ideas, etc? or do i have to replace the block or head(s)? :icon_confused:

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Cracked head, seen it about 3 times. Overheating places the coffin nail into it. Sounds like your rotating assembly is in real good shape, given the compression #'s. Get some heads and slap it all back together and keep on truckin! Or, like every other person will say on this forum, minus a few, swap a 4.0 in its place. Do some searches in the 2.9 forum.

blue_strat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
from what I've read, considering I have a 90 2.9, I already have the improved heads. but I do have a complete 88 2.9 donor engine that ran fine.

guess the only way to know for sure is take off the top end. and if I use parts from the 88, I should replace both heads so they match, rather than have 1 90 and 1 88 head.

blue_strat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oh, and as far as a 4.0, I've considered that for the future.

if i do, just put the 2.9 intake, etc on the 4.0?

blue_strat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oh, and as far as the 88 2.9 goes, I have it mated with a c5 (and rear driveshaft I modified myself).
Came out of an 88 ext cab I recently junked out due to extensive body and frame cancer. lol

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
They did improve the heads, although I doubt that your 90' actually got them. And even still, they are still vulnerable. And no, the intake and such is not swappable. Direct swap the 2.9 for the 4.0.

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
When you have your heads checked, make sure you look for cracks up by the stem. I missed them the first time around and assumed the head gasket had failed, ended up pulling them off again because of the same problem. Most times heads will crack in the valve seat area, but these didn't.

Wish I would have just swapped it out with a 4.0!!!! Just saying....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals