• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual or Automatic locking hubs

top pin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On one side of 85 B2 the locking hub is missing the part that turns to lock the hub in and out, so I thought I would just replace both with new Warn hubs. I still have the original Dana 28 front axle. How do you tell if the existing hubs are manual or automatic? Are manual hubs a better choice? I don't mind getting out an locking them in if so. The conversion kit costs around $50 new? Thanks for any input.

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Manuals have the raised slot of plastic in the middle that you turn with your fingers. The automatics are just a plain cylinder with a 4x4 sticker on the end.

The automatic hubs are terrible, even if you dont do any mudding they will probably still die on you. Once they start going you will hear all kinds of ugly snapping and clicking up front when you engage the 4wd. The warn hubs are def the way to go, but remember the actual hubs are around 150-170ish, then the conversion kit is 50.

top pin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
warn hubs

Thank you very much. I have fourn the hubs for $175 and I won't need the conversion kit. Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals