• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooling system

beenjammin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so got another question, hopefully its simple....

So today I drained and flushed out my cooling system and replaced the thermostat and its housing. Filled the radiator back up as well as the reservoir tank up to the "cold fill" mark. Started it up and let it run until the upper radiator hose got warm, indicating that the thermostat opened up. Shut it off and let it cool before I took the radiator cap off to add some more and "burp" any bubbles outta the upper radiator hose. Took it for a drive and after a couple minutes the temperature gauge dropped from where it normally is to almost cold. I stopped and in neutral I revved the engine a little, but not too much, and the gauge climbed back up to about normal again. There also appear to be no leaks.

The only thing I can figure is that I don't have all the air out of the system and a pocket is causing the gauge to drop. I'm going to check it tomorrow to see where the radiator coolant level is at.

Sorry about the long explanation, haha, I tried to include as many details as possible

Anybody have any ideas? I've never drained/flushed a cooling system before.
Thanks!

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
you are correct, the system is still low. when i am filling a cooling system, i always leave the cap off, start the motor, let it run watching the level in the rad, it will raise and lower several times while the stat is trying to open before it finally does (sometimes spills a little, no biggie), when it opens, you will know it, as you mentioned the top hose will feel hot, but the rad will be noticably low also, top it off and cap it, you should be good to go!

beenjammin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried this out and it appears to have helped get a lot of that air out of there. Temp gauge didn't move nearly as much. Still seems like there is a little left in there so I'm going to do it again and get everything right tomorrow cause I don't have work :D

Thanks for the help man!

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
You might try disconnecting one of the heater core hoses, and letting air out. I have a back flush tee in mine, and I can remove the cap to let bubbles out without drooling coolant all over the place. The heater core and hoses seem to gather all the air pockets in mine.
When I have changed coolant, I do not run it with the cap off, as it will start to expand immediately and come out the radiator filler onto the ground. I try to get all the air out of the upper radiator hose by squeezing it to force air out, and letting it relax to take in more coolant. Once the radiator is full, I put the cap on, fill the overflow, and run the engine til hot, let it cool, and check levels. The radiator should be full to the brim when cold.

tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals