• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Doh!!!!!!..in seattle now...

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,

So I got out to seattle today, and the trip was uneventful, except for today. I have a massive oil leak out of my rear diff...it's leaking out of my passenger's side drum. I got an appointment to have it looked at monday, as I don't have many tools with me to deal with this. Pisses me off though, as I just had the rearend rebuilt 6 months ago, and I just replaced all the brakes.

Oh Well, I guess we will see what happens....

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You didn't do a tank with the parking brake on did you? My wife did that once and the heat melted the axle seal.

Hope you get it going again quickly. Having gotten the numbers of people along your route would have been good. There's a lot of people in that area around here.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
See, I've had the brake stick on because of ice and it didn't do anything before... I just redid all of this less than 6 months ago. Urgh.

I'm still around here, although I will be leaving soon, hopefully. We went on the underground tour today, and then to a friend's house for a bbq. Honestly it is awesome to be away from work for a little while. I think we are going to the Space Needle tomroorw and then to a comedy club that a friend of mine likes. I am having a bit of a hard time getting used to mass transit, and just being around lots of people in general, I am used to a farming area, not a real city.

I've seen alot of rangers, but the only TRS sticker I have seen is mine.

I'll post up what it was when I find out on monday.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Seattle's a pretty cool place, it can lots of fun. The Space Needle is spendy though.... While you're up there (if you go), make the $16 trip worth it and eat at the revolving restaurant.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We went to the pike place brewery last night...If you like stouts, they have a XXXXX Stout that rocks!

I am taking the truck down in a few, just waiting for my buddy to get his ass in gear. It hasn't leaked much more, but it also hasn't been driven in 3 days. I never dralized my dislike of public transportation until now. Back in Jamestown, you don't have a choice...you have to drive and it is a piece of cake. Here....Holy hell!

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Love Seattle, hate the rain.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so here's what the shop supposedly found...

1 Shot U joint.... This is interesting, because it just passed inspection with it.

2 shot seals... Pinion seal and pass side axle seal.

Rear brakes (yup, I knew this was going to be the case)

Then they wanted to: Change fuel filter (just done 2 weeks ago), replace my P/S pump (It doesn't leak...they say it does) and replace my Serp belt (" Your Serpentine belt is REALLY bad".....again... I know what kind of shape my stuff is in).

Grand Total....$1300.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

Back home I had the rearend rebuilt and some rear brake work done and it came to around $800. Honestly...Is this just higher cost because I am from out of state getting ass raped, or are all Ford Dealers this bad? It's Sound Ford, for you Seattle people.

:pissedoff::pissedoff::pissedoff::pissedoff:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You're going to dealers. That's your problem. Dealers are for warranty work.

A leaky axle seal may be a sign of a failing axle bearing. Any fun noises to go along with this? The axle has to come out to change the seal; the shaft should be inspected as part of that.

A leaky pinion seal is another sign that this rear end might have gone south. Something is not right.

An honest tech can show you exactly why he thinks a U-joint is bad prior to you authorizing work. Same deal with any leaks or a worn belt. As for how they can tell a fuel filter needs replacing without a road test and fuel pressure test at high RPM, I call BS on them.

If they are telling you stuff you know is good is bad, call them on it and then take your truck elsewhere.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I generally avoid dealers, however, all of my friends out here don't have cars, and I generally don't trust shops.

I had this whole rearend rebuilt 10K miles ago....New seals and bearings by a reputable local shop. When he rebuilt it, He showed me all the parts. the old bearings and seals were shot, but the gears were all good, and he said the rear was in good shape. I am getting no noises out of it at all.

You are right....something is not right here.

My problem as well is that I am suppsed to be heading back tomorrow.....and nobody could fit me in....but now he claims that I may be delayed anyways.

I'm going to walk over there and try to speak with the tech.

I can just imagine how well they can hose somone who has no F%#*ing clue about a vehicle.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Funny, they sent my truck to another location to work on it....

I went into the shop and talked to the tech, he was cool, showed me the problems and told me that they were grading everything on new ford specs.. I can deal with a belt that has a few cracks on it.

Tech said the crappy U joint killed the pinion seal, which doesn't surprize me at all. The axle seal was leaking, he said that it wasn't installed correctly. I think that when I get home I am going to have to have a word with the local rebuilder.

I also think that it is time for me to learn all about axles and transmissions. Time to make a stop at the local junkyard for some learning materials.

I think we need an "assume the position" smiley.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
1 Shot U joint.... This is interesting, because it just passed inspection with it.
That would have been a NYS safety inspection, no? Most shops wouldn't catch a bad U-joint unless it was missing a cap.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it killed the pinion seal, I'd be concerned that it also killed the pinion bearing.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
If all 3 seals are leaking, check the vent to see if it's clear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals