• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger black smoke rough idle

strat37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello
The truck was running fine, went to the store, started it up. Rough idle to the point of stalling and blowing black smoke (raw fuel). The CEL would come on and off. When I got home I let it sit for a while cleaned the MAF, started it and let it idle, eventually it stalled again. I started it again and when it started to rough idle I pulled the MAF connection, from then on it runs fine. I pulled the codes KOEO, received 157, 158 (due to unplugging the MAF). I also got code 159 (Mass Air flow sensor fault). I also tested the electrical connection (terminals A,B,C and D), results for these were A&B= 14.42, C=5.93 and D=.18.
As I stated the truck runs fine with the MAF unplugged, so from the readings of the code and the disconnecting of the MAF, it tells me that the MAF is bad. I forgot to mention that when I plugged the MAF back in, the engine started to rough idle and blow black smoke again. Any feedback or thoughts are appreciated. One last thing, is it safe to run the truck with the MAF disconnected? From what I understand it will set itself to default for the fuel mixture but run lean.
Thanks

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Are your readings between each single pin and ground?

My only concern is that none of the readings are truly at ground.....it wouldn't hurt to see if the ground wires to the PCM have no appreciable resistance. But I would say it's very likely that the MAF is bad.

Overall, compared to most I'd say you've done a much better job of troubleshooting than most yoyos that post wanting others to do their research for them. Good for you.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Let me expound since you're already doing so well. If you read between the individual MAF wires and chassis ground, you were already relying on the integrity of not only the wiring between the MAF and PCM, but also the grounds between the chassis and PCM.

You could disconnect the connector at the PCM and check the integrity of the PCM to MAF wires, then check the wires that go to chassis ground too. You could possibly find problems you didn't even know you have and fix your current problem if it WASN'T the PCM.

While in operation, defective power wiring will of course drop the voltages read at the destination side.

Ground wires with bad connections will read some small voltage on them at the source side.

strat37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies,

I did read every pin single; the voltage was done between the A and B terminals. C and D were done individually with the ground to the engine. I agree that the source point could be different as the path could diminish as it moves along. I know there is no easy fix for this and I would hate to throw parts in it when the exact cause is not known. Now I will just have to dig out my Chilton’s book (where ever the movers put it) and test the remainder of the electrical paths. I see that you have a Chuck Norris quote under your name. How about this one:

Chuck Norris’ hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals