• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wipers malfunctioning

rg2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a 2005 Ranger Edge 2WD. On the intermittent wiper settings, the wipers move a few inches, pause, then move a few inches, pause etc. On Low and High, they function, but don't return to the cowl when you turn them off (you have to turn them off just before they get to the bottom position or they just stay where they were when you shut them off.)

Question - is this likely the wiper motor, or the multifunction switch? I have a 1990 Ford Probe and had a somewhat similar problem (wouldn't work on high, wouldn't return to the cowl properly) and replacing the wiper motor fixed it, but I don't want to buy a new motor if it's the switch - hoping somebody here has experienced this and knows which part I need to replace.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same problem on my 2001 f350. On those, the windshield is known to leak and run down onto the gem module and fuse box. It corrodes and causes all sorts of problems. I know for sure it's the gem because I've changed everything else.

On my 89 ranger it was a bad ground on the wiper motor.

For yours I'd start with the switch. Check the local junkyards or used ones on eBay before you dump too much money into an unknown problem.

Sent from my iPhone.

rg2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've checked out eBay and found a switch for $50, and a motor for $58. I'll try the pick a part this weekend and see what I can find.

What's the GEM?

It seems to be more likely to be the motor than the switch because I'm not getting any of the 'phantom wiper' issues that I've seen in the forum from other people - they don't turn on on their own, and when they're on they work consistently - only when on intermittent they just move a few inches, pause, then move a few inches and the length of the pause varies with the intermittent setting. This makes me think that the switch is sending the signal to the wiper motor and it's just not responding correctly. I might just take apart the wiper motor and clean the contacts etc. After buying a new wiper motor for the Probe, I took apart the old one and cleaned it up and it seemed to work after that (should have done that originally, but didn't want to be without the wipers if the wiper motor repair made things worse...)

I'll check the ground - they're notorious for problems (the automated seatbelts in my Probe wouldn't work, so I retightened the ground on the inertia switch (fuel cut-off) in the trunk, and that fixed the seatbelts. I also had various issues with grounds on my 1993 B2200 (that I put a 5.0L v8 into with a megasquirt DIY engine management computer) - I traded the 93 B2200 for the 2005 Ranger just a few weeks ago.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Gem is the general electronic module. It basically controls everything in the truck. How long the light stays on, how often the wipers wipe, sends power to the t case, etc. Older vehicles dont have them, but most newer ones do. I don't know if they can be a problem in rangers but I figured I'd offer up my experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone.

rg2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm assuming the GEM is different than the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) (sometimes called an ECM or ECU)? I'll do some searches to see where it's located on my Ranger.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Correct. PCM controls the power train. Hence the name.

Sent from my iPhone.

rg2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So, last night I took out the wiper motor (that's quite a job, surprisingly) and took it apart and cleaned it up and sprayed some electrical contact spray on all the elec contacts. I noticed that one of the 3 brushes had the end broken off and was only just barely contacting the commutator - I can't say I've worked on a lot of electrical motors, but I'm used to only seeing 2 brushes - I wonder if the third brush is to do with the wiper return (power to the 3rd wire runs the motor until the wiper returns to the normal position)?

I haven't had a chance to search for the GEM yet - if anybody knows off the top of their head where it is in a 2005 Ranger, let me know, otherwise I can do some searching.

rg2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I did a little searching on the forum and found this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36624
"I thought the 05+ didn't have GEM modules anymore. But I could be wrong..."

Can anybody confirm whether the 05+ have the GEM module or not? If my 2005 doesn't have it, then that narrows down the problem to the wiper motor or the combination switch.

Last edited:

rg2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So, I went to the auto wreckers today and picked up a wiper motor off a '99 for $40, put it in and the wiper problem is fixed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals