Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > Mazda B-Series Specific

Notices

Mazda B-Series Specific Addressing issues specific to the Mazda B-Series trucks

Old 09-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
babybigfoot

Vehicle Year: 1996 Mazda B400
babybigfoot is on a distinguished road
Default Mazda vs ranger front hub

I have a 96 B4000 front end torn down. When I pulled the rotor off of the spindle there was a piece of rubber left on the spindle. Looked like it was up against the seal on the back side of the rotor. It rides on the same surface as the hub seal does but doesn't look like it was connected to the hub seal at all. Looking at a breakdown of a ranger, it looks like a metal piece that in the Haynes manual they call a dust seal. But this dust seal in the book looks like a metal piece. They look nothing alike but they are pretty much in the same place. Is there a difference between the two?
One last question, The spindle seal that is in the back of the spindle where the needle bearing is on mine is a one piece seal with a metal flange that sets inside a plastic ring. When you get a new seal from the parts store they give you a flat rubber O ring and then the plastic ring and a metal cup with a rubber seal going around it. I think this may all tie in together but I am at a lost.
Can anyone explain to me the whole backside of the hub and spindle? Or even better does anyone have a good breakdown of the hub/spindle? Is this the only place that maybe Mazda and Ford differ?
babybigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 09-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #2
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

theres variations in seals that fit the same application.

the 96 mazda has all the same parts axle wise as the ranger.

did you look in the tech library?
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
babybigfoot

Vehicle Year: 1996 Mazda B400
babybigfoot is on a distinguished road

By any chance cam you explain what the flat rubber seal was on the backside of the hub? And why so many parts come with a spindle seal kit? And how all the parts are supposed to go together. Sorry for the stupid questions but this one has really got me stumped
babybigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

its a slinger/spacer
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:55 PM   #5
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Toyota
Vehicle Model: FJ Cruiser
I use this vehicle for: When I can't ride a motorcycle.
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

Like Bobby said, there are a few different ways these are put together.

You take off the wheel. The thing shaped like a top hat is the lockout. It has an o-ring that seals it against the hub/rotor. Take off the lock nut, washer and bearing adjustment nut and pull off the hub/rotor. Now you are looking at the spindle. 5 nuts and the spindle comes off. That's where it can vary, but it isn't that important. There is usually a disk in there that you can pull off by hand. That is generally all plastic. On the axle outer, there is a rubber seal on a steel disk that you can't pull off by hand. I think I've seen a felt pad on some. Don't need it. Inside the spindle there is a seal which you can pull out with a finger and then the roller bearings. That all lasts forever if you put a finger of grease on it once in a while.

If you post pictures of the parts we can help you better. And if you have a Haynes or Chiltons, those are very confusing. If I remember, I will try and get you a picture from the Ford manual.

'07 FJ Cruiser

'09 Mazdaspeed

'14 Ninja 1000
Will is offline   Reply With Quote