• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 removable side windows

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Anyone seen one? Aparently 84 may have been a couple. It was planned as it was in the owners manual on how to remove them.

Needle in a haystack.

Someone must have better pictures than the brochure ones.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok man now you got me thinking about this. so i looked around for like a hour on the net, stared at my bII for a while; thought the pics of the latches looked easy enough to find replacements for the removable hinge and the latches. easy enough the lower latches could probably come from modified ranger or some other extended cab rear pop out windows, or the tool chest stlye latches could probably work, though i think you could get the modifed pop out window hinges to look better(trim the side panel so 2 of those per side will sit somewhat flush when closed). and for the upper dont know just yet. but as far as mounting i was thinking of this http://www.drillglass.com/drillingglass.html?OVRAW=drilling glass&OVKEY=drilling glass&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=17026228521&OVKWID=3350569021 and simply using the hardware that mounts from the pop out hinges so they look smooth on the outside. know mind you this is all just a quick thought late at night bored:dntknw: buzzed:beer::beer::beer: and curious:D

also i found an old link that shows a pic where a guy drilled small holes in a couple panels and simply unbolted them, and put a blanking plug in the holes to cover them up

Last edited:

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ya once you said i had to look for all i could find and it looks like you could do it, i really like the idea alot once i finish my paint and lift that looks like something i want to do, on a hot socal day that would be very nice especially on a trail ride it would be very nice, good luck to ya i hope you get it done i cant wait to see this one be finished

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it funny lots of views and no one else thinks this is a great idea like us

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I tried with a carbide Birr bit and it went POP. I guess tempered glass was not made to drill into.

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I tried with a carbide Birr bit and it went POP. I guess tempered glass was not made to drill into.
Heh, Woops.

I could have sworn I have seen a B2 on the net with the windows off....

Not sure if you could do it, but maybe if you head to a local glass shop, see if they can possibly get the holes drilled for you, or ass them how to do it properly. THERE HAS GOT TO BE A WAY!

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I am fairly certain you can't drill tempered glass. As soon as you chip the temper it will explode. Holes are put in when it is still molten. Maybe you could use some sort of glue and a track. Like the wing windows are on a 2 door explorer. Maybe you could use a hinge and latches from a conversion van. They are much longer windows.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
did you go to that site i posted they say on there if you use a diamond bit that you can do it slowly with alot of oiling to keep it cool

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It's in the '85 owners manual too, and I've been looking for a B2
with them for close to 20 years.

It's literally the holy grail of Bronco2 parts.

IT's probably the only option more rare than the rear bucket seats.

AD

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would still like to see thebucket seats one that sounds good
and boggin thats what the latches look like from the pics in the manual, they look like a tbar with latches that look like rear pop out window latches

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's in the '85 owners manual too, and I've been looking for a B2
with them for close to 20 years.

It's literally the holy grail of Bronco2 parts.

IT's probably the only option more rare than the rear bucket seats.

AD
Not to mention the 4.0L and 8.8 equipped B2's of 1990.

Getting holes made isn't so much of a problem it's what issues will rise from it once done.

If those windows are so brittle that you tap them wrong and they shatter what kind of issues did Ford have? I believe this would be the reason for not going with it. Without super clean holes any bump or jaring and you'd have blown out glass. Not to mention I know how long it takes to get an engineering change through the system to update manuals. Hence the reason it was in the 84 and 85 manuals.

The idea is there but the glass is what would determine if it was a success or not. Ford did not have this figured out. The top curved part would have posed the most issues as clamping the window down would stress this area.

My thoughts would be that the first few that were in testing were having issues with blown out glass that they decided to just bond them in instead. Likely all the working prototypes were reworked this way. In 86 the windows were changed out for bolt in kind and different trim was used.

This is only speculation on my part, so take it for what it is.

It's likely easier to remove the windows and install polly w/canvas ones. It would make removal and stow alot easier. But this would come down to how well it was done. I have ideas, I just need to get to them.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i would still like to see thebucket seats one that sounds good
and boggin thats what the latches look like from the pics in the manual, they look like a tbar with latches that look like rear pop out window latches

oh I see,

but, If you wanna drill holes why not use plexy-glass, you can drill in them cant you?

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
really you could do it plex isnt that hard to work with and form, i actually maid a mask for my buddy in iraq (army soldier) it is half ballistics resin, and 1"lexan, and it was really easy to bend and form actually came out really nice too. i dont see why it cant be made from plexi glass

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
really you could do it plex isnt that hard to work with and form, i actually maid a mask for my buddy in iraq (army soldier) it is half ballistics resin, and 1"lexan, and it was really easy to bend and form actually came out really nice too. i dont see why it cant be made from plexi glass
yea well I will be getting the B2 soon so I will look at it and see what I can come up with

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals