• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil Spring removal

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I can't find where anyone has already posted about doing this, but my coil springs already have a retaining tab, and it seems to just be one of the factory lateral tabs that has been bent over. I had the spring all the way compressed, and it would not friggin come out. I thought maybe it was supposed to just pop over the tab when it is seated on the upper mount...

Is it OK to zip that one tab off with an angle grinder? I jacked the radius arm up to take tension off it, thinking I could set a pinch in and knock the tab back enough, but it wouldn't budge.

I figure for safe keeping, I'll do one of these from the tech section...

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Year and model?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Assuming you're talking about the 97, just jack it up till the tire is off the ground with the suspension at full droop. (Put the jack under the frame or use a bumper jack if you dare.) Then undo the large nut at the bottom of the spring. Then just turn the spring in its mount till it pops out. No need to cut anything. They can be a little harder to get back in but doable with an extra set of hands..

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Assuming you're talking about the 97, just jack it up till the tire is off the ground with the suspension at full droop. (Put the jack under the frame or use a bumper jack if you dare.) Then undo the large nut at the bottom of the spring. Then just turn the spring in its mount till it pops out. No need to cut anything. They can be a little harder to get back in but doable with an extra set of hands..
yea it's what I did just jacked out high and the spring just fell out when I took the nut off on my 96. the new lift spring needed a little compression but not much

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals