• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Skyjacker 6" or James Duff 6"??????????????

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Skyjacker 6" or James Duff 6"? I know this has been discussed before but I ended up finishing the post not convinced of either argument, I.e. heim joints not a great idea on the JD lift etc. I don't care, this won't be a daily driver or see a lot of wheeling. I am concerned about claims that the Duff springs sag bad on some trucks.

I have an 88 STX hi-rider regular cab and I realize putting on a 6" lift will yield 1 1/2 to 2" less bc of the factory Ford lift. A 302 out of a mustang is also being built at this time and will be around 400 hp at the crank. Let me hear it guys!!!

Both kits are around 2,000$. I AM leaning JD bc I'd rather give my money to the small guys.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
That sounds fine (if you go for JD). Switch to the SJ 6"coils since they have a more ideal spring rate for your upcoming addition. I switched out my Trailmaster coils for F-150 coils and finally for Skyjacker coils. They were the best for my 4.0L, and would be even softer with a slightly heavier 5.0L. I think the weight difference is only 150 lbs or something like that.

I have no experience with the JD lift, but it doesn't have bad reviews. I only have experience with JD's bushings & body mounts, and they are fantastic with exceptional customer service.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Pete, what is it about the skyjacker coils? Better ride, less sag?

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I have the Duff 3" Stage 2 Lift. I love it! The build quality is excellent. I also have their extended, spring eye bushings, and axle pivot bushings. I've been very happy with their products, their customer service, and their shipping.

I can tell you that you will need to order adjustable alignment bushings. I used ones from MOOG. I can also tell you that Duff's instructions were OK, but not great.

However, it is a company of real people. Instead of ordering online, give them a call and speak to a rep on the phone. Explain what you are doing and with what engine. If something they offer doesn't work, they can set you up with something that will. They also have more products available than what's online.

I DD my truck with the JD lift. My rear springs are stock and still a bit stiff. The ride is nice, but you can still feel the small bumps in the rode. However, it handles large bumps and rocks and such very well. I would describe it as Cadillac ride quality. I should mention that I have no sway bars and the body roll isn't bad either.

I have had no spring sag that I can notice.

Take a look at my build threads. I have tons and tons of pictures of the install.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I looked up several coils for Ranger TTB's, and gathered the information below.

Skyjacker 4" coils = 450 PPI
Skyjacker 6" coils = 410 PPI
Skyjacker 8" coils = 410 PPI
Skyjacker Cherokee 6" coils (pt# JC60F) = 240 PPI (solid axle)

Jeep XJ coils = 180-220 PPI

Early Bronco 5.5" Deaver coils - 340-360 PPI (solid axle)

Deaver 4" Superflex coils = 350 PPI (solid axle)
Deaver 6" Superflex coils = 300 PPI (solid axle)

Rough Country 4" coils = 434 PPI

Trailmaster 4" coils = 445 PPI

Superlift 4" coils = 530 PPI

Jeep Rancho 6423 coils = 240 PPI (solid axle)

Rusty's Offroad coils = 150 PPI

James Duff 3" Progressive-rate coils = estimated 400-500 PPI (conflicting, dual rate #)

I noted above which are normally used in SAS / solid axle applications; however, you may use them freely in the Ranger/Explorer/Bronco II buckets. A spring rate is still a spring rate, after all.

A good compromise between flexability & stiffness will vary depending on your setup (engine size, winch, tube bumpers, forced induction, type of axle & locating setup, etc.).

You will want something that suits your application, and softer is not always better. Typically, down travel is preferred. Again, it it depends if you street, mud, rock climb, or desert jump your vehicle.

Remmy, I just preferred the Skyjacker coils over the other ones I had. I have no experience with JD coils on my particular rig. I was not worried about sag or ride height as much; mostly street comfort, trail riding, and capability with rocks. The Trailmaster's were harsh, even with my ProComp ES-9000 shocks. The softer 6" SJ coils were nicer with my 4.0L motor. People who have switched have had similar experiences.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Try a set out. If you are unhappy with them, buy a new set and sell the old ones. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Duff's kit includes new coil buckets. A pair of coils could be switched out in an hour. You have (2) 1/2" upper spring retainer bolts on each shock tower and (1) large nut for the lower spring retainer. Pop off the top of the spring, let the beam lower and you have clean access to the bottom of the coil.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well, ordering one of the lifts tomorrow heh. Yep still don't know which to get, they seem so damn similar. Here's my question. The Ranger is an 88 STX with the Hi Rider lift, so a 6" lift would really only lift it 4" higher.

There are 2" blocks out back and 1" radius arm spacers in front. Could I still use the 2" blocks with the new springs and throw some 1" coil spacers up front? The most wheeling she'll see is up at the hunting cabin, I.e. Logging trails.

If you HAD to pick one lift which one!!!!!!!!!!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That's a tough one to say, both kits have their merits...

I would lean toward the Skyjacker on a truck that gets used on the street a lot (especially during the winter season) simply because of the radius arm bushings that are more resilient to road grime, salt, mud, water, whatever is prevalent on your roads (and/or trails).

The JD kit in theory should have a little bit more flex because of the heim ends, though I've seen some extremely good flex from setups running bushings (I run bushings on mine and haven't observed a shortage of flex). The JD kit also comes with a dual-shock setup (stg-2 & 3 kits), which can add to it's versatility if you start tuning it for higher speed use and/or putting flexier coils in it, etc.

Pay attention to your steering linkage angle, especially if you start adding things like spacers on top of a lift. A bad angle on the steering linkage will cause all kinds of nightmares with handling, not to mention greatly affects your tire wear as well.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
4X4, I see 2" coil seat spacers online, 2", but they are only listed for 2WD Rangers? I don't see why they wouldn't work on a 4WD. And yes I already had adjustable camber bushings installed a long time ago.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If they are a true 2" thick spacer, then it's probably because that is too thick to fit over the 4x4 axle stud and be able to put the retainer nut back on (2WDs you can just put a longer bolt thru the beam). On a 4x4 1.25" is about the thickest you can go without having to add a stud extender (which due to the lever-action of the axle beam, a 1.25" spacer provides very close to 2" lift). IMO, you should instead use the next-size-up coil spring if you need spacers thicker than that.

I wasn't talking about your camber bushings.

See here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I am biased, but I'd absolutely buy the James Duff Lift again. The only things I would change is I would've painted all the bolts heads to prevent rust or just replaced all hardware with Grade 8. I would've also rust proofed it all before last winter.

You can add additional spacers to the front or rear as you see fit. The limit to this will be in your shocks, they only extend so far.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
JD is neat, but one shock can be just as good as 2 shocks. People do it sometimes because it looks fancy, not always because of function.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
It does look fancy, I will give you that. It does have function if you want to run without swaybars and use soft springs. It will definitely help with the body roll.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Wiz, no doubt they are practical and useful! They are quite functional. I guess I should have specified it for mall crawler. :D

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Guys I appreciate all the feedback! I did order the JD 6" lift. Should be shipped out Monday as they didn't have any radius arms and were getting more powdercoated. I spoke to Brian, what a genuinely nice guy. Happy to give them my hard earned money.

I have the front suspension all ready to go for the lift, those rivets weren't that bad, cobalt bits ate them up although I snapped a bunch which sucks because they're expensive.

Now onto painting the suspension parts and frame with Eastwoods Extreme chassis black, the stuff is awesome.

Now the question. I received the coil spring spacers to level the front...the mos logical way I could see to stack everything on the stud was washer, spacer,washer and nut....NOT using the spring isolator...I'm thinking the spacer serves this purpose well and the beveled washer fits perfectly inside the bottom of the spacer. I know, I need pictures!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals