• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EMERGENCY HELP!!! Please look!

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was driving my BII tonight when it just up and quit with NO electrical power. The tach rolled all the way over to 9,000 RPM. The only end on the old alternator wiring (I have a 1 wire alternator on it now) was a little burnt. Is there a relay or something that provides power to the fuse block and to the fuel pump relays? or is that all off the starter relay?

Please help! My window is down and with it being power, there is no way for me to get it up. I am taking a vacation day tomorrow to try and figure it out because it is susposed to rain tomorrow!

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I was driving my BII tonight when it just up and quit with NO electrical power. The tach rolled all the way over to 9,000 RPM. The only end on the old alternator wiring (I have a 1 wire alternator on it now) was a little burnt. Is there a relay or something that provides power to the fuse block and to the fuel pump relays? or is that all off the starter relay?

Please help! My window is down and with it being power, there is no way for me to get it up. I am taking a vacation day tomorrow to try and figure it out because it is susposed to rain tomorrow!

There is no relay for the fuse block. It makes a stop at one of the poles on the starter relay on the way from the battery to the fuse block, but does not actually go through the relay.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so more than likely the starter relay is bad? There is no fuseable link in the wiring to protect it?

I will try replacing the starter relay tomorrow; hopefully that will be all that is wrong.

Would that cause the tach to roll around? I got no lights or anything before it stopped.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that has an external voltage reg right? i remember on my old sunbird i wired it up to be a one wire(long story) and it kept blowing alternators, and overcharging, caused all kinds of problems!

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I believe it has an internal voltage regulator. The alternator never put out more than 14.5v.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have you had the alt tested?(free@thezone) is the battery still okay?

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will have the alternator tested tomorrow when I get a new starter solenoid. The battery is reading 12.5v right now and it runs my aux fuse block good.

I am so confused!

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Does it turn over? If it does the starter relay is good. The side of the starter relay that the battery hooks up to has the fusible links.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No turning the key over does nothing. There is absolutely NO power to anything.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Check the battery cables. Check voltage on the starter relay post that the battery hooks to. Check voltage from positive battery terminal to engine. The first will check positive cable. 2nd will check engine ground. Try jumping the starter relay(positive post of relay to start terminal).

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will try that. A starter relay wouldnt cause all the electrical to stop working would it?

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
No. Looking at the diagram, every fusible link would have to be bad. I'd say most likely one of the cables is bad or you lost a ground.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hmmm.

The old plug that went into the alternator burnt. The one with the 2 black/orange wires in it.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There should be three fuse links coming off the relay. One green and two blue. The green supplies the alternator, and ignition switch, plus some of the other circuits. I would suspect this one first. It is a blk/org wire. This wire goes to two more fuse links. One of the fuse links goes to the ignition switch thru a yellow wire. The other fuse link feeds other circuits in the truck thru the blk/org wire.

One of the other blues supplies power to the fuel pump relay, and the other blue supplies power to the EEC relay and the computer. This will get you started. I would disconnect the alternator while diagnosing the problem. shady

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals