• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch won't bleed!

natestokely

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone,
I just installed a new master cylinder on my truck yesterday evening, and have been trying to bleed the lines all day to no avail. I followed the instructions here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/bleedclutch.htm, but I have no improvement in the pedal. It still goes to the floor without doing anything. I saw a video on youtube where someone took apart the master cylinder to let air out, but I want to see if anyone else has had luck with that before I try to rip out the circlip and piston. Any tricks or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If its in the truck and wasn't bench bled you'll pretty much need a mighty vac, and even that I haven't always had luck with, now I've always had luck with this, https://youtu.be/91IYY_YENRw
Skip to around 5 mins

natestokely

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I think I'll pull it out and give that a try tonight. I was going to try using a large syringe to force fluid through, but bench bleeding looks like more of a sure bet. This all makes me miss my old car's cable clutch.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
When bench bleeding when you think you have it, beat on it again, I would do that wait a couple mins and beat on it and pump it again, then when you hook it up to your slave just open the slave and gravity bleed it and you should be good

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Thanks. I think I'll pull it out and give that a try tonight. I was going to try using a large syringe to force fluid through, but bench bleeding looks like more of a sure bet. This all makes me miss my old car's cable clutch.
Try this, un bolt the MC from the firewall. The nose of it points upward. That traps air. With the hose still connected, tip the nose down and open the cap. Add some fluid then go underneath and open the bleeder on the slave. If fluid drips ,let it drip a few seconds.Then close , put the cap back on and bolt the MC in place. Secure the push rod to the pedal arm. You're done. :D

PS, the clutch R+R on my Ranger is the worst one I have ever done for sheer PITA. Time and expense. The advice I got was to replace everything[/I because you won't wanna ever come back. I grudgingly went along with this advice.'cause I didn't ever want to do it again . That said, the hydraulic action is needed because a mechanical action would be too heavy. The net cost was around 400$ in parts. Rear main seal to pedal pad new. The end result of the job is a great working clutch. That takes some of the sting out. :D

Last edited:

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
$400 in parts???? I had $250 in new flywheel clutch throwout slave master, line, everything and that was from autozone

Jason_1984

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Faulty Slave cylinder??

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
$400 in parts???? I had $250 in new flywheel clutch throwout slave master, line, everything and that was from autozone
I went with a LUK rep set from parts geek. fly wheel and most everything else from the 'Zone, stuff for a 4.0, what engine do you have? MA has 6.25% tax too :D

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have 302 and we have 6% here in Michigan but the 302 stuff I'm sure is cheaper and mine was all factory OEM

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I have 302 and we have 6% here in Michigan but the 302 stuff I'm sure is cheaper and mine was all factory OEM
Heh heh, not your first rodeo is it? I also was buying brake parts so maybe some got added in. I am fine with the 4.0. Plus, the center bearing is way too loose, so I don't get on it like when I had a '47 GMC. I just glide around town. It is the first manual shift I've had in nearly 30 yrs. :D

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I thought about 4.0 but they just don't sound like a v8 lol

natestokely

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone. I ended up hanging the whole assembly from a ladder and tapping it with a ratchet for a few minutes. All the bubbles came out. Put it back in, gravity bled the slave, and its perfect. Feels like a different truck now after driving with a bad master for the past 3 months. Haha.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals