• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rag joint problem after replacement

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used the Tech article and universal Dorman replacements to repair the both rag joints on my steering today. Afterwards, the steering is binding like the joints are not flexing enough to allow the shaft to rotate smoothly. I have a 3" body lift with the extender in the steering shaft. I'm baffled. Anyone ever encounter something like this?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, the 1992 Aerostar shaft won't work--top connector is a different shape.
A 1992 2wd Ranger shaft with one ujoint won't work--3/4" too short with my 3 ' extension.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
my solution to the binding steering after lift

After searching the forums I found that !991 Aerostar and Rangers should have an intermediate shaft with universal joints. No Aerostars around and the one I found was way too long. I took a shaft from a 1991 Ranger 2wd that had one ujoint and a rag joint at the steering box. It was too short (more on that later). Then I saw that some folks have used the Jeep XJ shaft with universal joints and a built in damper. So I got the last one of those at the JY today. Even completely collapsed it was too long. You could cut the steering column double D shaft to make it work, but I didn't feel like it. Then I thought--what if whack this 1991 shaft with a hammer--will it extend? Sure enough, it extended far enough so I don't even need the extender that came with the lift kit. Problem solved--steers great and smooth.

The photo below shows the Jeep XJ on the left, the 1992 double rag joint in the middle, and the 1991 on the right before I extended it. They are oriented as if you are sitting in the driver seat looking forward.

[/URL][/IMG]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals