• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission questions/advice

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hi new to the forum and just purchased a 89 2 wheel drive ranger with the m50d 5 speed trans. I bought it knowing it needed transmission attention.

it will not move in any gear except 4th gear. when you have the clutch released you can hear the throw out bearing making noise and it goes away when the clutch is depressed. I am in the process of pulling the trans.

my question is what is causing the above issues? depending on what I find I am looking at replacing the throw out bearing, slave, master, possibly clutch and various seals. I don't want to do all that to this trans if its the trans itself that is at fault. I have been told that these transmissions will burn up if it has no fluid in them. when I pulled the driveshaft I had no fluid come out so there may be no fluid in the trans. thanks for all input.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Throw out bearing is only used when clutch pedal is down.
If you have a noise when foot is off the clutch pedal it could be pilot bearing or transmission bearing.

If transmission only shifts to 4th gear or shifts to "other gears" but won't move, then shift forks in the transmission are most likely broken or have come loose.
In any case it would have nothing to do with the clutch, you will need to pull out the trans to have a look or get another M5OD to replace it.

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ron, it will shift to other gears but like you said the truck will not move. I disconnected everything last night and should have the trans out this morning I will update on what I find. thanks

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I don't think its a throw out bearing problem. It sounds to me like the teeth have been striped off the input shaft or countershaft. Every gear is driven by the countershaft except 4th, which directly connects the input shaft to the output shaft. You probably just need a new trans. Its more expensive than its worth to try to rebuild, and if all you replace is the one bad part, you will get a gear whine for a while till the gears wear together.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
While its apart, it is an excellent time to put in a clutch kit.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
bet you pull the top cover and it looks like this

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^^ that looks like one of the very quiet "smooth gears" I have heard about, lol.

But I doubt the gears are stripped like that since poster didn't mention any noise that would cause that result.

M5OD is a good trans but shift forks and rails did have some issues, not "common" but likely issue.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
um that is an m5od and didn't make any noise when I pulled it but only had 4th gear. this was the second one I have had like that

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well I got the trans out and the when spinning the input shaft it doesn't sound to good. lots of grinding and crunching. I didn't pull the top cover yet but I am sure its going to need a trans. anyone have one? I am in north Carolina.

I am going to check the local junkyards. i know the chain junkyards give you a return option if it doesn't work.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The M5OD-R1 trans has an integrated bell housing so besides a "good one" it needs to be from a vehicle with the same engine as you have, I assume 2.3l Lima
It can be 2WD or 4x4, you can swap your current tail shaft housing over to a 4x4 M5OD, assuming it is in good condition which it should be.

Last edited:

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
baddis, you nailed it. i pulled the top cover and its even worse then your pic. that gear is perfectly smooth.

ron, i noticed the bell housing being one piece. trying to decide if i want to turn it in for a core or hold onto it.

anyone know what it costs to rebuild of one these? the shifter forks are in good shape. only the gear is destroyed. thought about keeping it for a back up if its not to much to rebuild.

i should be headed to the junkyard this morning they have a dozen or so rangers there so i hope i find what i need. thanks for all the input everyone.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
That's what I figured.. If you only have to replace the input shaft, its probably relatively cheap. However, with the input gear looking like that, the countershaft gear is probably messed up too, that might get much more expensive.

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i found a transmission out of a 1994 ranger at the local junkyard and it had a new slave cylinder and master to boot! i got it all for 135.00. if it works im in good shape. i opened it up and its very clean and the gear that was damaged in mine looks great.

i saw on the forum that its recommended to replace the 3 rubber plugs on the back with a dorman steel version. none of the parts houses here can seem to find that part even with the number i found on the forum. any one else run into this problem? also i was looking to replace the top plate gasket/seal as well but they cant find that one either. is this a ford only part?

thanks again

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've bought single gaskets from mom and pop transmission shops.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals