• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another fifth wheel hitch

Yarbro04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm wanting to put a gooseneck hitch in my side step ranger for a small custom trailer. Does anyone know if there is a company that makes a hide-away hitch for a ford ranger? Or anyone know of someone that has done it and can help me do it. I will be doing a 5.0 swap later and I will do the hitch while I'm swapping motors so I would like to prepare for both of them.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Never seen a gooseneck in a Ranger. My dad had a 5th wheel hitch in his step-side Ranger. He used it to pull a camper before he got his F-250. Couldn't tell you who made the hitch or install kit, but I remember it was an off the shelf kit, not custom.

Yarbro04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea that's all I've seen is fifth wheel. But I'm looking for a hide-away ball hitch and think I found one by Curt with some cutting and welding! It should work, but I was looking for one that was made for a sidestep ranger

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
For a Ranger? No. I'm pretty sure no kits exist.

There are actually a few gooseneck Rangers running around here (at least 2), I found the thread where one had pictures, but they've disappeared. I have them saved somewhere.

So basically you're going to be building custom mounts for your truck and ordering a universal (or the ones that are just the basic plate that holds everything) hiding-style system from whichever manufacturer you decide is best for you. So basically any will fit your side-step Ranger, as it'll be totally custom regardless.

Few have tread into this territory, be sure to post lots of pictures. I'll try to find the ones I saved.

Once my employment situation is a little more secure, I'd like to do something similar myself.

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Aw sweet! I DO have them on this hard drive! :icon_hornsup::icon_welder::icon_thumby:

Click for 800x600

Attachments

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm doing this exact thing. I bought a Curt 61052 and am going to use 2" 1/2" thick steel, as per their installation instructions, to install it on my frame. Then cut a hole in the bed. My '95 Ranger is down to the frame right now and this is one of the things I am doing. I'm building a gooseneck trailer with a single 7,000# axle to haul my ASV RC-30 track loader --plus a few other similarly-sized bits of equipment. Having the ball right over the axle is much, much better than having it way behind the axle. That's an understatement. Having the trailer tongue in the bed of the truck totally eliminates all of the control issues. A semi tractor weighs 15,000# and pulls a 65,000# trailer. A 3,500# Ranger could handle a 15,000# trailer at that ratio. The mechanical beef isn't there, but the control is.

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
My cousin and I just got done putting a B&W turn over ball in my Ranger last weekend and this weekend I just got done moving His sister in-laws little blazer with it

Attachments

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That looks perfect.

I have a B&W turn-over ball on my old Chevy crewcab, but on my Ranger I think the ball would hit the pumpkin when it was flipped. That's why I went with the fold-down ball. I never flip the ball anyway because after a load of firewood its hard to fish the ball back out to use it. It rides in a cup holder.

New trucks, they don't want you to drill into the frame top flange like that, but my old Chevy, that's how it was done.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm doing this exact thing. I bought a Curt 61052 and am going to use 2" 1/2" thick steel, as per their installation instructions, to install it on my frame. Then cut a hole in the bed. My '95 Ranger is down to the frame right now and this is one of the things I am doing. I'm building a gooseneck trailer with a single 7,000# axle to haul my ASV RC-30 track loader --plus a few other similarly-sized bits of equipment. Having the ball right over the axle is much, much better than having it way behind the axle. That's an understatement. Having the trailer tongue in the bed of the truck totally eliminates all of the control issues. A semi tractor weighs 15,000# and pulls a 65,000# trailer. A 3,500# Ranger could handle a 15,000# trailer at that ratio. The mechanical beef isn't there, but the control is.
I wonder how much having the pin above two axles helps a semi though...

I wouldn't mind getting a gooseneck car trailer for my F-150 sometime, really for no more than I haul my tractors anymore a borrowed bumper pull is perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are a lot of single axle tractors. It makes no difference as the purpose is to reduce the lever-arm between hitch and axle to zero. The second axle is purely for weight capacity. Governed by tire rating and road surface rating.

I would definitely put a gooseneck ball on the F150. The control difference can't be over stated. My buddy bought a huge golf course wing mower and I went with him to pick it up with my 3-axle gooseneck and my old Chevy crewcab. It was as tall as a semi trailer on there and barely fit width wise. He was really worried about it--suggesting we didn't go on the interstate because it might be unstable. As soon as we got onto the road after leaving the place we picked it up from I started whipping the wheel back and forth to show him that nothing will happen. With all of the weight sitting right down over the axle, the trailer and the rear axle of the truck become a wagon. It's all one vehicle.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the plate between the rear axles on a twin screw I don't think the front axle and frame would see as much of the load as a single screw where the plate is ahead of the rear axle.

Since I quit tractor pulling and going to plowing days it is about as fast and simpler to just drive them from a to b than it is to mess around with a trailer loading/unloading. The one that is slow (tops out around 8mph) barely weighs 2klbs so it is basically like pulling an empty trailer with a bumper pull. Even then it takes a shy hour to drive it to my parents house.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My cousin and I just got done putting a B&W turn over ball in my Ranger last weekend and this weekend I just got done moving His sister in-laws little blazer with it
is this the kit you guys used?

dj8lp8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
5.7L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
My credo, no credo
I started with the B&W hitch many years ago.I've installed four all on Ford F-350s A very simple installation ... came to less than two hours. Its very easy to remove and nothing left in bed. It works so easily to hitching and unhitching. Even when you return to a spot and the truck is taken to the side, and the trailer is flat, it is very easy to unhook it.I have this setup now for almost 4 years and we have no problems.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's how I did my truck. This is the Curt. The truck is a 6' bed so this hitch barely fits between the tank and the spring hangers. I made the cross pieces out of 1/2" steel and it is bolted in through existing holes in the frame with 9/16" bolts.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals