• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

roof rack questions

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
im gonna add a roof rack to my B2, so here's the question, better to buy one or build one? i can find racks for around $150-$200 online+shipping. how much in materials to build one? what materials and measurements did you use? how did you mount it? if drip rails, where did you get the hardware? if on the factory roof bars, how much does it support?

i do have the skills and tools to build one, but i want it to last, so im covering my bases.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you can find a Yakima rack, dont bother building one. I love these things.

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
mounted to the drip rails? what kit did you use?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Q-tower kit with the crossbars and Q-25 clips for my extended cab ranger. On a BII, you might have to get creative or use the exhisting crossbars. Should work nice.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im gonna add a roof rack to my B2, so here's the question, better to buy one or build one? i can find racks for around $150-$200 online+shipping. how much in materials to build one? what materials and measurements did you use? how did you mount it? if drip rails, where did you get the hardware? if on the factory roof bars, how much does it support?

i do have the skills and tools to build one, but i want it to last, so im covering my bases.

Check out this link.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=912185

I did this as well and it works perfectly. I used some thule gutter mounts and crossbars.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Personally I HATE drip rail mounts.
I would do an explorer luggage rack mount. The bars that run front to rear; and make your roof basket slide in those rails. That way; if you ever do wanna remove it all you gotta do is slide it out.

Look at a 1st gen explorers luggage rack with the cross bars. Look how those cross bars slide into the rails that go front to rear. Make your basket slide in that and use the explorer's twist locks to hold it on.

Will look tons better than that drip rail mount crap.

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
whats the best way to run wires from a roof rack? you know, from lights. i really dont want to have to drill through the roof. 89 B2

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
whats the best way to run wires from a roof rack? you know, from lights. i really dont want to have to drill through the roof. 89 B2
without drilling the roof, my theory won't work for mounting the rack either...

without drilling there is no "best" method. probably running in the liftgate and down the inside... idk...

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
well, as far as mounting the rack to the roof, i was either going to mount it to the factory cross bars or, when you take off the factory crossbars, you are left with just the tracks with the empty sliders...maybe just bolt the roof rack to the sliders? think it will work? and how did you seal the hole after running the wires? just silicone?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
silicone no... i used a rubber grommet, put an X in it just big enough for the wires and then used a clear windshield sealant. its not silicone. silicone will flex, dry, and not stay sealed sometimes...sometimes it works great. this stuff i use stays flexible sorta.

if you have a factory luggage rack.

then i'd custom fab some "feet" on the basket rack to SLIDE in the bars going front to rear and then use the stock twist locks to secure it in place. then all you gotta do is wire it.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I made mine myself because I'm too cheap to buy what I really wanted, and mounted to the eddie bauer roof rack sliders. I don't know the full weight capacity, but I've hauled a spare tire regularly (until I made a rear bumper mounted swing rack) plus alot of camping gear.
I used perferated "L" channel steel, because I wanted to be able to position bungies anywhere I needed them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals