• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'87 Ranger 2.9L ~Low Fuel Pressure/Emission~

StreetRat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Problem- Starts right up (like always), idle not perfect but strong (like always), then cuts out and dies at throttle up (not like always). No power while driving.
"If it had a carb" it would seem as the accelerator pump was shot.
EGR appears to be operating correctly. Changed the feedback sensor and vacuum solenoid for the EGR valve. Hoses are good, TPS, MAP, Air by-pass work good at check.
Changed the ignition module, fuel pressure reg. She has good fuel (tank, rail, pressure) and spark.
All new (within 2yrs) distributor and guts, coil, wires. Plugs check out well.
Is the EGR regulator just an 'on or off' switch to supply vacuum for the EGR Valve?

And, changed fuel filter (again), the problem stopped and she had power, for about 10mile. This was after I already changed both pumps, filter, pressure reg, removed and cleaned tank. ALL those parts are new except for tank and sending unit. Still losing pressure somehow.

She almost left me in a compomising position when I went to the store after I changed the filter and I thought it was all good.

~What should happen if I remove the vac line from the fuel reg while its running/throttle up?

~What about that 'fuel accumilator' thingy? The supply and return line connect to a 'container' just before the high pressure pump. Possible to lose some pressure there?
There are NO leaks anywhere.

I have no gauge to give precise readings and since not running right cannot get one or know anyone that has one, I guess thats my bad.
However from experience I can say that the pressure is roughly 2-4 lbs, if that much, at idle and rarely increases at throttle-up, chocking it out.

Clogged return fuel line maybe? Sound plausable?
With all the work I personal done on the fuel tank all the way up to the rail and knowing is was done correctly, I get lost at the rail. I trust my work and the regular checks. She has really stumped me on this one??? I'm just looking for a lead to follow.

Granted, the pressure is very low for my 6 injectors. If I use a nail to bleed the Schrader valve while running (safety first), it will die right away with very little gas 'squirting' out. It dont squirt at all, just seeps out. The exact pressure is nil compared to 35, thats my problem.

I just dont understand why because of the new pumps, fiter, clean tank, etc. This is why I also asked about the fuel accumilator and the return line being clogged or anything to not let the gas to return to the tank like should (lowering pressure maybe?).
Disconnecting the FPR vac line served no difference in operation.

Pulled the codes. Nothing, as in, nothing happened. I heard the sensors and stuff do there thing but CEL didnt flash at all (waited approx 3min). Then, tried it again. Nothing as before.
Maybe I'm retarted? Doubt it though.

~Can the injecters cause low pressure, even if the 'click,click,click' they make when you listen to them is good and consistant.
~Where are the relays at for the fuel pumps? But why would they allow just enough pressure to only idle and not throttle-up.

I apologize if i'm not clear of my prob or just typing bunch of stuff that dont matter. I where a blue collar and simplicity is difficult write.
Thanks for your attention... :icon_cheers:

TwoWhels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Two fuel pumps = Two fuel filters

Did you change both of them?

StreetRat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
first time i heard of 2 filters on her. one after the high press pump on the frame rail and the other one is ???
thats a new one for me.
wheres the other?

I narrowed it down to the pumps. must likely the one in the tank. Can the relay be frying the pump? 2 pumps in last few years. Bad grounds maybe?
Thanks...

Last edited:

StreetRat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
~I have gots to post this~

In a way, there are two filters. Inside the fuel accumilator is a wix#33268 filter. Clogged to the gills! Previous owner changed it before also. Teeth marks on it.
Blew my mind, I did not know that and never heard of it. As in, any other posts, its not even mentioned, nor in Haynes book. But one of the first filters at Advance On-Line and Napa. Guess more truck owers should be aware of this lil' nugget.
Well, the parts store closed for today.

Check into it... Hopefully this will help others!!!

~All have a ~Merry Christmas~ All others ~To each his own~
Many Blessings...

Attachments

Last edited:

StreetRat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Found a new problem. The check valve for the inlet of the accummilator/reservoir is bad. Stays closed causing very little fuel to enter.
Anyone think it could be removed without signifigant stress to pump in the tank?

Attachments

Last edited:

StreetRat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am mobile! Repaired check valve in fuel accumilator/reservoir and fixed other line restrictions I didnt know about. As expected, runs like a Rat outta hell. Thanks for all the insight and recommendations. Excellent forum.

Forever Obeying Responsible Drivers...

sabaat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
asgdshg
Transmission
Automatic
Great post! It's very nice and userful. Thank you so much for Paul post.

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So can anyone tell me how to get the accumilator off the truck? I have the fuel lines disconnected, but it wont slide far enough forward or back to come out.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
slide it back. I had to play with mine a bit.

I'd also like to point out that not all of those come apart like StreetRat's. Mine isn't a true filter, its just a screener, piece of door screen in the accumulator.

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I sure hope it comes apart. Napa had a filter listed for it, so I hope I'm not wasting my time. Thanks for the help.

EZ MONEY$$$

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual

In a way, there are two filters. Inside the fuel accumilator is a wix#33268 filter. Clogged to the gills! Previous owner changed it before also. Teeth marks on it.
Blew my mind, I did not know that and never heard of it. As in, any other posts, its not even mentioned, nor in Haynes book. But one of the first filters at Advance On-Line and Napa. Guess more truck owers should be aware of this lil' nugget.

Many Blessings...
Can anybody tell me where I can buy the accumulator?

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Many Blessings...

That was the only filter on my truck and the donor truck I used, so not all have two filters. Both were 86's. One manufactured in December of 85 and one in April of 86.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Many Blessings...
I have a 87 Ranger STX, 4x4, 2.9 and wasn't aware that are two fuel filters, as you mentioned..

Where is this fuel accumulator located, as I'd like to change the fuel filter on mine, too, as I've, already, changed the other fuel filter that was really plugged and I think it's still starving for getting more fuel..

So I bet the fuel accumulator's fuel filter is in very bad need of being changed, too..

I never realized that were two fuel filters, as you mentioned you weren't aware of this fact, either..

I was really surprised to be informed from reading your post that there are two fuel filters to my amazement..

You've really posted some very good information to my enlightenment.. I'm sure glad that I happen to read this posting..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That was the only filter on my truck and the donor truck I used, so not all have two filters. Both were 86's. One manufactured in December of 85 and one in April of 86.
I just checked O'Reilly auto parts, online, and there are two types of fuel filters listed for my 87 Ranger STX, 4x4, 2.9 engine..

So, it looks likes my Ranger, apparently, uses two fuel filters..

Which I never knew before reading this posting..

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just checked O'Reilly auto parts, online, and there are two types of fuel filters listed for my 87 Ranger STX, 4x4, 2.9 engine..

So, it looks likes my Ranger, apparently, uses two fuel filters..

Which I never knew before reading this posting..

And there are two listed for the bronco II's as well (at least on napa). But not all of them actually had two filters. Just have to actually look and verify before you start buying filters.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals