• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Door Locks - should they lock automatically when truck is put in gear??

jyams73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought an 04 XLT with power accessories. When I start the truck and put in drive the automatic door locks don't lock the doors like they do on most other models. Is this normal or is it an issue? This is an important feature for my wife when she drives the truck in my absence. She wants the doors to lock automatically as soon as she cranks up and goes. I agree because it is a security feature. I searched the forum but couldn't find any postings on this subject.

Thanks,
RC
Memphis, TN

mtm006

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think it is a feature of the factory power locks. My 03 XLT didn't do that until i got an aftermarked alarm. Now it locks when you turn the ignition, but that is a feature of the alarm system.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My wife always locks the doors when she's driving as well, but I don't like that she does. I know it's a security thing to prevent being truck-jacked but it makes me nervous.

What happens if you're involved in accident and can't unlock the door yourself to let the rescuers in? I know they could just break the window but if a vehicle is in flames the difference between life and death could be a the few seconds it takes them to find a big rock and reach inside and find the handle to unlock it.

But that's just me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals