• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone ever ....

John Smith

Reaction score
Has anyone ever ....(ran a carb setup on..)

ran a carb setup on a Ranger or B2 86 or newer utilizing the in-tank electric fuel pump for a fuel supply? I am building a 2.3L powered "87" B2 and may want to utilize a carbed version for starters and if it works..maybe keep it that way..I know i can get an 84-85 B2 tank and sending unit and use the manual pump etc..but since a lot of fuel line is already run..and the in tank wiring is there and the rollover switch is there etc.. has anyone ever modified the EFI fuel system to run a carb?..

I'm asking the question cuz of course i could hook a guage to the output side and check it..and then maybe use a regulator on it..but learning form someone else's experience seems to make sense at the moment..if it's been done..and what may be able to be used or blocked off and then used later on another EFI motor..etc..

My search skills haven't helped me find a past thread on this so bare with me for asking the question..

Anyway..answers appreciated...

Last edited:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
you will need to run a regulator, the carb. only needs around 8 pounds, and the electric will push around 40 to 50 pounds, you can watch old "Power Block" shows, they run electric fuel pumps all the time.

Robert

John Smith

Reaction score
I appreciate the response..

and I'm a ware that the HP fuel pump delivers about 40 or so lbs..and i WOULD disable THAT if i were to run a carb..but might want to run the tank pump..which i seem to remember runs at less..and of course i would use a regulator..cuz my carb only want about 4lbs... well just stand by and see if anyone has actually done it...thanks for the comeback..

Last edited:

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Do you mean like the old "EFI" models? - my 84 LTD had something similar - where there was an injector running down each barrel of the "Carb"

John Smith

Reaction score
no actually..

I mean use carbed version of a motor...in an EFI built Ranger/B2. The EFI version has the dual pump system in 86-88..
most people want to upgrade to EFI from carbed (84-85)..I may want to use a carbed motor in an EFI plummed truck..mostly utilizing the wiring..and 1 pump..probably the in-tank one...

Do you mean like the old "EFI" models? - my 84 LTD had something similar - where there was an injector running down each barrel of the "Carb"

John Smith

Reaction score
Evidentley this thread isn't going to stir a lot of interest...

But best wishes to those who responded...
thanks for your input..

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what came with a carb on a 2.9 though? does a carburated manifold for one even exist

John Smith

Reaction score
Actually my original post

started with the premise of using any other carbed non-stock motor from anything else...in my case a 2.3L 2300. Some have used carbed 302's, and maybe even a 2.8. Not looking for a carbed 2.9. In other words..if you replace the stock 2.9 with anything other than...and use a carb...
what came with a carb on a 2.9 though? does a carburated manifold for one even exist

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
started with the premise of using any other carbed non-stock motor from anything else...in my case a 2.3L 2300. Some have used carbed 302's, and maybe even a 2.8. Not looking for a carbed 2.9. In other words..if you replace the stock 2.9 with anything other than...and use a carb...
its simple....but why would u pull a running FI 2.9 in favor of anyhting smaller and carburated

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The short answer is yes, you can do it, and yes it will work fine. What you could do is remove the high pressure pump and just run the one in the tank. The stock in-tank pumps are only good for like 10psi so you don't need much of a regulator and possibly nothing. My '85 F250 came set up like that from the factory.

That's throttle body injection, not a carburetor.

John Smith

Reaction score
thanks 4 that input

I actually called Bronco Graveyard this am and found that their replacement in-tank pump is rated at 4-6 psi. I have a complete early 70's pinto motor with a Holley 5200 on it and judgeing by what i have been able to peice together..it runs on a about the same fuel pressure..the in-tank pump is specked at 28gph or so..and i guess the smaller fuel pressure regulators are available for cheap if i need to drop it at all..again thanks..I was only going to use this manifold fold a while while i decided whether or not to turbo that 2.3 and wondered if i could get by and leave all of the efi stuff their just disconnect some of it for a while..again thanks..

The short answer is yes, you can do it, and yes it will work fine. What you could do is remove the high pressure pump and just run the one in the tank. The stock in-tank pumps are only good for like 10psi so you don't need much of a regulator and possibly nothing. My '85 F250 came set up like that from the factory.

That's throttle body injection, not a carburetor.

John Smith

Reaction score
As you may have read in my last post, I'm changing to a 2.3L possibly turbo'd..but may run a carb while I'm rebuilding...(the 2.9 had a bad head and i was looking for a different kind of challenge)

its simple....but why would u pull a running FI 2.9 in favor of anyhting smaller and carburated

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals