• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clutch interlock??

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys ive already sent payment for my pedal assembly, master cyl, lines, and reservoir for my a4ld to fm146 swap, and i have a question or two. first off will i need to use the clutch interlock on my durasparked rig? the only wiring i have going to the trans is for my lock up swtich and the reverse lights. i can start it in any gear. before i durasparked it i couldnt do that. will i be able to get away with not using the clutch interlock? if i do need it will the plug already be there?

one more thing. the factory flexplate spacer thats on my crank. first off do i need one when i swap to the fm146? also how the hell do u remove it? i couldnt even tell how when i had the trans out the last time

thanks guys, im gonna get started on this as soon as my parts come in, found a few good trannys with warrantys for the cheap, and im more then likely gonna do the 4.0 clutch swap as well since i need a new starter anyways. and yea i know about the m5od swap but i can get a fm146 for 100 bux

John Smith

Reaction score
I might as well respond...

I'm sure many will help you here but for starters..I believe the fm146 (being 88& later) came with a multiswitch on the clutch rod from the pedal..at least the two 88's i have do..( the ranger 2.3 as well as my 88 b2)..that being said..I have only unhooked and hooked it as i've needed to to remove the pedal assbly etc..

the last earlier clutch I worked on was in an 84 ranger with the little 2 contact switch actuator that came on an 84 clutch pedal assembly to work with the stock 84 dash wiring sub-harness that was there..I'm not sure what pedal assbly ur gettin or what your 85 has for a dash sub-assbly wiring setup..but i'm sure you can "hotwire" something that will allow you to hookup what ever type of clutch switch you may want...and maybe even adapt the later style multiswitch if you so desire..

good success 2 U..may the force be with you...

It will be a wealth of experience that you will be able to share I'm sure..

As a side note my current project is to adapt an 88 2.3 m50 4x4 trans into an 87 B2. I am changing the pedal assembly as well and may adapt the newer multiswitch myself..we'll see this week what challenges this "87 donor" offers in the form of that clutch/pedal/wiring scenario..in my case I'm going from power brakes to manual brakes..hence the hanger assembly removal..

best wishes..

Last edited:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
you only need to hook up a switch if you want a safely switch to keep it from being started with the clutch out, On my 88 Ranger, I had bypassed the switch so I could bump the started while in gear.

Robert

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
pedal assembly is from an 84 b2...so i dont have to remove my pedal brackets, i can just slide the rod and auto brake pedal off and insert new brake and clutch and rod? looking at my factory for service manual from 86 it looks like i can. it also looks like the rod is part of the clutch pedal. my parts prolly wont come in until next week so i havent had a chance to check it out. i dont really car about a safety lock, hell i disengaged the clutch safety on my jeep so i could hold the brake and start it in gear so i would flop on extreme off camber/ big hills. i have a habit of putting the shifter in nuetral and pushing in the clutch anyways, as i was so used to driving my 00.

anyone know about the spacer? ive googled it and read through hours worth of crap and nothing tells me whether i need a new spacer or i just put the pilot bearing in the crank like i did my 00 or what. hell i cant even find out how to remove the dam thing

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On the pedal assembly issue, I took my 87 BII A4LD out and put in an M50D, and used the pedal parts from my old dead 85 BII. It was as you think. The rod and petal slide out after removing the keeper on the end. The problem is it's really tight under the dash, and I had to work at getting the rod in from the side. I believe I had to wrangle the wiring harness around out of the way, and a few other things.

Pay close attention to the little spring washers and plastic bushings on the rod. I left something out and had to pull it out to put all the parts in the right order.

Also, the new clutch master cylinder that I installed for this project had the pushrod with it, but it was not the right length for my application. I think I ended up using the one from my 85. My M50D doner was a 92 Exploder, and I originally thought I could use this whole assembly from it. The petal was wrong, (too long I think) the pushrod too long, and the Clutch master cylinder didn't bolt up right, causing the pushrod to be at a slightly wrong angle, making the pushrod bind up when depressed.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dunno if your is the same as the 4.0 A4LD to M5OD, but I just did one last week.

The 1st gen Exploder pedal assembly can be switched over by removing the pivot rod and swapping the pedals. The rod was not one with either pedal.

The flex plate spacer did have to come off. It was just there, needed a minor persuasion to be popped off.

And the pilot bearing goes inside an insert that goes in the middle of the flywheel.

Again, yours may not be that way, but this may help...

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i guess ill go to ford and see. my ford manual(the good ones the techs use) shows it not having an insert, also shows the order the bushings and pedal stuff goes on so maybe it will help me out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals