• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help.. trying to figure out how to operate my Yaesu FT-227R

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I bought this CB Radio back about 3 years ago for $20. It was from a buddy that had it in his wrecker but sold the wrecker and so on. I also got a magnetic antenna with it. It has rode around in the trunk of my car for the past 3 years and I have never even tried it. I decided tonight I would hook it up to my battery and see if it works. I hooked it up and didnt realize what kind of radio I had. I turned it on and everything lit up and came on. My issue is I have no idea how to use this radio. I checked the back of the radio and the tag has it labeled as a Yaesu FT-227R Memorizer. I looked it up on google and it looks like this radio was discontinued. Also it says it has 800 channels?? The last little cobra I had only had 19 channels so it was easy to get together with my buddies on the same channel but how do I get to the regular channels on this bad boy with 800 channels? I also have no idea what the smaller knobs are on the top left of the CB. The last one I had 8-9 years ago was a cheap cobra I bought from Walmart that only had a volume and a channel knob on it. There is also a burst on and off switch on the back with another high and low switch. Any ideas? Lastly I am putting this in my b2 and I am trying to figure out how to run the antenna into the cab from the roof. Any ideas there? I don't know about running it through the door because it will cause water to leak into the cab. Also I don't think my cable that is attached to the antenna is long enough to go too far. I know this is a lot in one thread but thanks for any help!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That is a 2-meter ham radio, not a CB (requires a license to transmit on it).

mad hatter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
PM me if your interested in selling it
have Amateur extra class license

Mad Hatter
KB1YEP

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have two of them. I used one when I was first licensed before buying a newer 2 meter transceiver to access the repeaters with tones. The second one was a throw-away and I don't know if it works, but it has an external tone board. Some day I'll see if it all works.

They are good radios and were very popular from the 70s through the 80s. Most of the repeaters require a CTCSS tone to access them now, so few people use these radios unless they use simplex or have a tone board. You can still buy tone boards if you want to use them on repeaters. The output is about 10 watts on high power, 1 watt on low.

I think this is a good reason to get a technician class license.

http://www.foxtango.org/ft-library/FT-Library/Eighties/Eighties.htm

CTCSS is simply a squelch system that requires a sub-audible tone to open the squelch.

http://www.onfreq.com/syntorx/ctcss.html

Bill - KE6KA

RangerRage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Yep. That's not a cb. That's a 2m amateur radio transceiver. Gotta have a licence.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals