• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Helga, My 88 B2 Build...

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
OK I just copied this from my build thread on B2.org. I will keep it updated!

Well I dont have any pics of when I first got it because my comp had to be reformatted.
Heres the specs which I will try to keep up-to-date.
88 EB edition
94 4.0 From Sploder Sport
M5OD 5 speed
Manual 1354
Warn manual Hubs
U-joint rear driveshaft
D35 front, aussie locker, e-clip eliminator
8.8 31 spline rear, Aussie locker
4.56 gears
3" PA body lift
34x10.50 Super Swamper LTBs
Custom made bumpers front and rear, warn 6k
Rear sploder springs with overloads removed
Full 2 1/2" exhaust, flowmaster 40 series and a before tire exit that run between the frame and body so I cant smash it.
4.0 auto radiator
Half Doors for wheelin
2X100Watt off-road lights
Oil pressure, water temp and vacuum gauges added
Heres right after I put the wheels and tires and brush guard from my parts rig on it, last spring break.

Heres a pic of me on that same rock pile with snow.

Had to add this. See my sweet windshield crack?

I made onboard air for free with shit I had laying around!

Next came the 3" body lift and tires.

Body lift gap fix.

The I finally settled on an exhaust I like and one that i cant smash. Flowmaster 40, no cat (I have hi flow im gonna install) full 2 1/2" pipe and a 12" long 3" tip.

I have done many more things to it, I just dont have many pics...

Installed the rear 4.10 LS axle tonight, took it for a test drive and it feels like a rocket compared to what it used to!!! It also got rid of the terrible drivetrain slop it had. I hope to get the front in by sunday but I dunno.
Only pic I got.

Well still havent got the damn 4.10 TTB in yet :banghead: Weathers been crappy on my days off and the days I work its been nice (like right now). Ive only ben able to do small projects. I pulled the crappy non a/c rad out and slapped in a good auto w/ac rad thats twice as big and flushed the cooling system, hopefully it wont get over 200* anymore up in the woods. I also pulled my grill, masked it and painted the center portion gloss black. It lookin like the ttb wont be in till after spring break is over because I work all but 3 days of it and the 3 days im not worin ill be in newport :banghead:

My Lock-Right arrived today! Cant wait to put it in! Thanks Todd!

Well as I pormised, the 4.10 ttb went in today and we managed to get the lockright in too, what a bitch!!! Had to swap in an open carrier to use it, had to grind down the ring gear to get the full crosspin in, the notched 4.10 crosspin wouldnt allow us to put the c-clips on with the lock right because it didnt allow the spacers to move inwards, so out came the dremel and in the went the stronger un-notched crosspin.
I took it for a quick drive, couldnt feel or hear it click, deffinalty pulls to one side after you let off and give it gas but its only for a second and according to the booklet its normal, deffinalty wants to go straight if ya give 'er gas while makin a sharp turn, all in all it seems pretty damn streetable, im impressed! Of course its dry right now, it could be another story when its wet...
Out with the old 3.45s, Took about an hour to remove, not bad...

In with the 4.10s! took about 2 hours after swaping camber bushings, brake rotors and bearings.

Dad grinding on the ring gear, note the tape everywhere to minimize metal shavings in the diff.

Lock-Right in! Total time spent on the locker was about 8 hours! Who needs spider gears?!?!

I put the 4.0 radiator in today with some free time I had. I got the rad from Brian, its from the Danger Ranger.
Heres a pic comparing it to my old radiator from a 2.9 auto which is twice as thick as a 2.9 manual! So in short, the 4.0 auto rad is 4 times thicker than a 2.9 manual!

Heres it is installed, hopefully this means cool running for the 2.9.

Picked this up from Joe (BRONCMAN) this morning, and I installed it before I went to work, its pretty stout and fits very well. I had to do some minor grinding at the end of the frame. Its also made a for a 2" body lift, so it sits up like it should and the gap is much less.

Well I finally grabbed a door from the parts rig and started cuting it down today for half doors. I didnt get too carried away but I took a good 8"s out if it, I just cut then folded it over and welded it. I then too some of that black plastic trm stuff and put it over the the area I cut so I dont cut myself ( I already cut my finger before I put it on, damnit). I also slapped on an extra flag mirror to keep it "legal". I think Ill paint em black when Im done or blue if I can find a close match to my paint in a rattle can.

Finished chopping the other door. Now I just need to get another thing of that plastic trim and some spray paint and they'll be ready to slap on for some wheelin. Not sure how Im gonna work around the fact that my doors have power windows and locks so trying to snake the wires through the fenders is going to be a bitch, maybe a coathanger would work?

Here they are on the rig. They dont appear to be cut a whole lot but theres enough of a cut out to lean out just fine.

Well I started work on this bad boy! I added 4" c channel to my Smittybilt push bar and ditched the stock bumper, still lots of work to do like add metal on the top, d-rings, finish the ends, ect. Im happy with it so far :thumby:

I added some aluminum diamond plate to the top for now, not sure if Im gonna keep it or go with steel...

Well I bought some d-rings today for it. I went down to the shop again after school today and started welding on it and reinforcing it and added the d-rings on. Only real thing left to do now is finish the ends and the front pie shaped piece that will blend the inner and outer pieces together. I like how my welds turned out, too much spatter but changing wire speed wouldnt solve the problem so I just kept welding, it seemed to have good penetration.
I used some square tubing to help reinforce the outer pieces.

D-rings welded on.

Heres a shot of the brace again.

Here it is installed.

Well I did a lil more work today. Added the angled pieces that tie the ends into the center section and used a blending wheel to make it pretty smooth. I also capped off the ends of the c channel. I just need to beef up the mounts and get some bedlinder on it!

Thanks Pat! I plan on beefing it up soon before any major pulls happen. I bought some Duplicolor spray on bedliner today and sprayed it. I like the way it turned out! I still need to beef up the mounts soon but at least its protected from the weather now! I left the diamond plate bare, Im gonnaa see how I like it in the long run, if I end up not liking it Ill coat it too.

Well I started work on the spare tire carrier. I plan to make a hi lift mount too and possibly a jerry can mount. I just need to cap the tubes, weld on the latch and bed liner it.

Last edited:

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks like a great buildup! seems like youre having fun with it too which is awsome.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well the tire carrier is pretty much done now, its nothing fancy like the piece of art BRONCMAN made, I just needed somethin functional for now, I bed linered it and the bumper I got from BRONCMAN, the only tweeking it needs it that I need to cut the mount and extend it a couple inches so the tire fits without contacting the tubing, Once I get a chance that'll take all of 10 minutes. I still plan on making a hi lift mount but since I dont own a hi lift right now, Ill wait till that time comes.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I figure I better update this... I took the shifter out yesterday and welded on the threaded end of a bolt to accept a Mack "Bulldog" shift knob my grandpa gave me, and I also added a piece of aluminum plate to the overhead push button 4x4 console (Dont have electric 4x4 anymore) to accept switches, I currently have my off road light switch and my reverse light switch in it so far. Sorry for no pics, my camera is messed up and my phone has been acting up lately and I threw it today cause it pissed me off and I fucked it up more!

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
awesome bumpers! i would advise a roll bar/cage. looks good!
Thanks! At this point I really think a cage is overkill... I'm trying to find a 4.10 d35 right now so I can have a locker up front but 4.10 d35s are rare...

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well this is way out-dated. My father bought a 90 4 banger 4x4 ranger which has a full 4.10 D35 which I will be trading him soon. My Aussie locker for it arrived today. Being locked front and rear is going to be epic :icon_thumby:

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sick dude, cant wait to see how it works

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well as some of you may know I picked up a 94 sploder sport with a blown M5OD for $400, I will be performing a 4.0 swap once the weather shapes up a bit. Tonight I scored a 4x4 M5OD for $250, supposedly rebuilt 20,000 miles ago and it even had the extension for the body lift I'll need. So right now I've got a 4.10 D35 with aussie locker, 4.0 and M5OD all set to be put in my B2. I started today by pulling apart the dash of the sploder and labeling all the wires as I go. Also found a sploder Chiltons under the seat so that may help me a bit with wiring if needed. And I already sold the cat off of it for $50.

Got the 4.0 out and its sitting in the shop. Rear of intake manifold leaks oil pretty good like my 2.9 does, may have to do something bout that.

This is my dads ranger that will be donating my it's 4.10 D35.

Also thinking about just swapping the 4.0 harness and leaving my dash and do some splicing.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i can guarantee that that "Dana 35" is really a hybrid Dana 35/28. All 4 cylinder 4x4 Rangers had the hybrid. You might as well keep the Dana 28 in your truck, it has the same internals; if that Aussie is for a Dana 35, it won't fit in the Dana 28 carrier.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
i can guarantee that that "Dana 35" is really a hybrid Dana 35/28. All 4 cylinder 4x4 Rangers had the hybrid. You might as well keep the Dana 28 in your truck, it has the same internals; if that Aussie is for a Dana 35, it won't fit in the Dana 28 carrier.
Tis not a hybrid, ribbed housing means full D35. And hybrid didn't start till 93. Thanks for trying to look out for me though :bye:

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Tis not a hybrid, ribbed housing means full D35. And hybrid didn't start till 93. Thanks for trying to look out for me though :bye:
OH snap!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
hmm, lock rite in the rear and and aussie in the front, 2.9 and FM14suck, warn hubs, flowmaster 40.........

Its like deja vu, lol

Looks good man! Come to utah, and wheel!

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
D35 is in. Just waiting for the parts sploder with the manual 1354 to get here and I'll have 4wd.

D35 out and apart, notice mikly gear oil :eek:

Beam pressure washed and wire wheeled.

Letting the torch work alone on the radius arm bolts.

Aussie in, notice the rusty spot on the carrier, I'm sure it has something to do with the mikly gear oil, I'm not worried though, my original 7.5 had rust halfway up the inside of the diff and the ring gear was all pitted when I got it but it never gave me any trouble.

E clip eliminator spring.

D35 in.

Fawk you spider gears!

Sticker

Poser shot.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Man, I've been waiting to get my D35 in for weeks, I'm jealous! I'm just waiting to get it back from the shop doing the gears... Looks good though!

Any info on that spring you used for the e-clip eliminator?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals