• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flywheel/clutch plate Compatibility

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am doing the 4.oL swap into my manual 86 B2. I plan to use the existing trans which is the FM145. ( I have a M50D trans but plan to do that swap later). The 4.0L engine I am using is off a 93 auto Explorer. I know that I need a new flywheel and clutch/pressure plate. The 10 inch on, of course. I am in the process of ordering the parts. I plan to get the fllywheel and clutch set for the 93 explorer. The question: is this compatible with the FM145 trans. Will the FM145 trans input shart fit into the 93 flywheel? Will the clutch slave actuate the pressure plate? I am almost there. After painting the engine compartment I can drop in the 4.0L. Then the wiring begins.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, it will work. You might have to grind a bit out of the top of the bell though.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't do the transmission swap now (it is super easy), you will be doing it sooner than later.

The FM-145 was a WEAK transmission behind the 2.9. It wont hold up to a 4.0.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know that it would be easier to change the trans also but my wife wants the old explorer out of the driveway. I do not want to get rid of it until I am sure that I have all the parts. I might need some wiring that I have not removed. So, if I get the 4.0L running I can then scrap the Explorer.

I can tackle the new trans next summer. My B2 will sit in the garage all winter.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, 2 things about that.

First, you can bolt the flywheel up and start the engine without the trans attached to it.

Second, if you really want to wait until next summer, your FM-145 probably won't make it that long. You might just be lucky for it to make it to winter.

If you have it apart, wire it up, fire it up, and then pop the M5 in. It really won't take much longer.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would think that it would be easiest to swap the engine and tranny together if you already have the tranny. (correct?)

I think you will be OK using the FM145 for a while. They aren't really that bad, mine was still in good shape after 2 seasons of wheeling it when it got pulled for a V8 swap. They do have the input shaft bearing issue but IMO they are still a lot stronger than the previous TK 4 and 5 speeds.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By the time you grind the high spot on the bell housing and verify clutch fitting you could have the M50D in there.Plus any parts you buy are for the long haul not just for next year.Ive done what your doing and once you have it apart do what you want.I changed the dash steering column for ease of wiring it just goes way better plus I like the dash way better.I also put the heater and air conditioner from the donor and it bolts right in.By the way its totally worth the trouble go around the block with that 4.0 and you'll throw that 2.9 in the shitter.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What high spot of the bell housing needs to be grinded??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals