• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adding Gauges

MyFirstRanger

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Insight CS that was on my 2005 F250 that I sold and then got my Ranger. Any way I installed it in my Ranger and was able to get the Battery Voltage and the Transmission Temp and the MPG so far. I'm trying to get Oil Pressure but don't see it in the PID's, you can pick from 56 PID's so I might have missed it. Has anyone else put an Insight in their Ranger?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford no longer uses an oil pressure sender in their gas engines, they use an oil pressure switch, above 5psi the switch closes and gauge moves to just below 1/2.
Idiot light only uses the opposite, switch is closed when below 5psi(light on), then opens when above 5psi(light off)

So no oil pressure data would be available via OBDII

I assume the F250 was diesel if you had an oil pressure reading via OBD II, I think they kept using sender instead of a switch.

Last edited:

MyFirstRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, my F250 was a 6.0L Diesel...

Thanks for the info on the oil pressure switches on gas engines. I'll check to see if Edge makes a oil pressure sensor for the 4.0L Ford engine...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oil pressure senders are available, $13, problem is the gauge can't understand it and it is not part of the OBD II wiring.
Wire just goes from Sender/switch on block to dash board gauge, no connection to the PCM(EEC) for monitoring.

MyFirstRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Edge has a EAS (Edge Accessory System) that can add sensors to engines like EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature), outside air temperature and has sensors that can be used to check pressure they are pricey though. The EAS adapter cable is $30.00 the EAS universal sender is $156.00 and the EAS pressure sensor is $135.00 . That's a bit to expensive for me to see the oil pressure, that's for sure...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Always wonder about that Outside air temperature gauge, had it on a few vehicles.

Always been partial to rolling down the window for that info, but to each his own :)

As cheap and bright as LEDs are now I am surprised there are not any cheap and thin HUDs(heads up displays) for adding gauges to lower windshield.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Always wonder about that Outside air temperature gauge, had it on a few vehicles.
I never got the point of that either, but people around here seem to be obsessed with them. I take at least one call every other month to the effect of "My friend has a vehicle just like mine, but their car has the outside temp display and mine doesn't, but I see my screen has the printing for it. Can I bring it by and have you guys turn that feature on?"

We also have one customer who is super pissed that his AIT readout doesn't update instantly (must drive 20MPH or faster for 75 seconds to get it updating so it isn't reading radiant from the engine) and doesn't match the bank thermometer to the degree. He yelled at me on the phone when I tried to explain it to him. Then he called Ford customer service and cried to them about it.

MyFirstRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
The only thing I really miss about my outside temp display is that you could start a conversation knowing what the temp was outside at a moments notice :) I have the radio on it announces it a few times each hour... (It would cost me over $216.00 to hook it up to my Insight CS)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I really don't understand the point of a lot of these fancy gauge systems. What ever happened to just driving?

My tach works half the time, if that. My fuel and temp gauges haven't worked in two months, oil pressure light doesn't work at all. In fact I think the only three indicators on my dash that actually work right more often than not are the CEL (which is always on), the speedometer (that one is a little important) and the charging fault indicator.

I know my oil pressure is good because I don't hear the lifters chattering like they would if I had low pressure. I know I have fuel because I haven't exceeded my fuel range. I know why my CEL is on and I am saving up for the parts to fix it. I don't need my tach to tell me when it is time to shift, my ears can do that. In fact the one piece of operating information I am most interested in most of the time is one that was never available on the factory cluster. Fuel pressure. I can tell you more about what is going on in my engine by the fuel pressure than any other one piece of information.

If a nice mechanical gauge pod came along cheap I would probably go for it, but I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on one.

Last edited:

MyFirstRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I hooked up the Insight and looked to see the PID's I could monitor on a Ranger. I towed a large 5th Wheel RV 10,400 lbs (F250 6.0L Diesel) and expecting to tow a smaller 5th Wheel 3800 lbs with this Ranger. I want to know if things are close to normal when I'm towing 4500 lbs. I can slow down, stop and or get repairs before an idiot light tells me too late and I have a large repair bill. Oh it is also an OBD II code reader and it can erase codes, if needed. And it's something to play with too...

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
I never got the point of that either, but people around here seem to be obsessed with them. I take at least one call every other month to the effect of "My friend has a vehicle just like mine, but their car has the outside temp display and mine doesn't, but I see my screen has the printing for it. Can I bring it by and have you guys turn that feature on?"

We also have one customer who is super pissed that his AIT readout doesn't update instantly (must drive 20MPH or faster for 75 seconds to get it updating so it isn't reading radiant from the engine) and doesn't match the bank thermometer to the degree. He yelled at me on the phone when I tried to explain it to him. Then he called Ford customer service and cried to them about it.
Thanks, you helped me out. I always wondered why my temp never updated after the initial startup-I don't have the VSS wired up to it. Now ot figure out how to make a fake VSS signal on my '98

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals