• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 suspension is fubar

igotsmearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
Ok I just bought a 99 Ranger with a 2.5. Most of the suspension is shot. Other than ball joints, tie rod ends and stabilizer bushings what else should I look for? It's got 380k on it so there's no telling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Control arm bushings. Shocks and shock bushings. Maybe wheel bearings while you're in there?

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You should know that the ball joint in the upper control arms, and if they are original, cannot be replaced. However, the entire upper arm can be purchased rather cheaply. Also, I bought the entire lower arms for $60 online complete with new bushings and ball joint. Change out your steering arm ends while you are at it, you are going to have to have to have alignment anyway. Bearings are for sure a good choice as the other TRS member suggested. If the brake rotors are good put in a new set of pads in the brake calipers. You should watch the youtube videos and do the work yourself.

igotsmearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys! I was able to put it on a lift and check it out up close. I ended up doing upper control arms, (I already knew I couldn't do just ball joints but good looking out!) lower ball joints but not the lower control arm since the bushings there looked ok, stabilizer linkages may as well have not even been there so those got done. The tie rod ends were surprisingly new. Rotors were not too bad and the pads will make it a while, projects for another day I guess. Since it was cheap I went ahead and replaced the wheel bearings too. My brother and I did this all along with an emergency radiator replacement in about 16 hours. Took way longer than it should've but part and tool runs took their toll.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals