• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can i stuff a 460 into a ranger?

JunkYardDog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3 powerstroke diesel
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 92 ranger reg cab short bed that im lookin for a v8 swap. i have a 460 laying in my garage from a town car that i scrapped a while back. just curious how much work it would take to make a big block ranger?

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It would take a LOT of work. But if you really want to, it can be done. There are at least 3
that i know of on different websites. Check out bigblockranger.com

I talked to a guy in michigan who built one and he said it was fun to drive but not easy to drive.

pineypower1186

November STOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 C.I.D.
Transmission
Manual
its a challenge to stuff a b.b.f. in a ranger. but i imagine it would be even harder to make it streetable.

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
It would take a LOT of work. But if you really want to, it can be done. There are at least 3
that i know of on different websites. Check out bigblockranger.com
It's a piece of cake.

:D

:D:D

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. It can be done. (^see above LOL). Just keep your sawzall and torches close at hand and you can do damn near anything. Who doesn't love a big block in a light vehicle? Go for it buddy. And take tons of pics!

smokeshow83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 2.6 and 88
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
dont know much about doing the swap but i do know they make kits for the swap for a 289,302,351c,and 460. i do know of a few that has done the swap and they r and were pleased.

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dont think that you will get any headers even complete custom to fit inside the frame, so you'll have to run them outside. Also with a big block you'll probably have to go with a c6 or toploader and i know with a c6 the bellhousing is pretty large so you might have to either get the BFH out with the 5 foot handle and a couple of beers, or cut out the firewall and tunnel and weld a new one in. Also with a big block even a mild one your talking about gobs of torque, so boxing the frame wouldnt be a bad idea either.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the planning stages of doing adding a stroked 460 as well. It can be done but there is a lot of work to be done. It's a little more involved on a 4x4, you are guranteed to to a SAS and maybe a little more.

Matt

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
i know with a c6 the bellhousing is pretty large so you might have to either get the BFH out with the 5 foot handle and a couple of beers, or cut out the firewall and tunnel and weld a new one in.

Not even close. That's a C6 in my truck and all I really had to do was saw off one little unused tab on the trans and fold the cab seam over just like you would for a smallblock swap.

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Big Block

Thanks for the info big block, I thought the bellhousings were alot larger then say c4 & AOD ones. Are you going to box the frame on yours big block?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If you have a bodylift the trans fitment isnt a problem. The trans fitment is pretty much the same as a small block swap. In my case I am boxing the frame and making a custom engine crossmember. That is more due to the rockwells rather than the 460. I've seen your page a while back bigblock. You do nice work. I'm glad to see everything is going well.

Matt

dangerranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 soon
Transmission
Manual
oh great ford mind think a like im doing sumthing simliar with a 96 ranger 2wd im mating it with a 4speed manuel and 4.88 gears i want sucker to fly on my back country roads with the long tube headers waking everyone lol!:icon_rofl:

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
Naaaa. I will not be doing any frame modifications. I think it will be fine.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You aren't likely going to find one. From what I can recall the C4 was never offered from the factory behind a big block. I could be proven wrong but I have never seen one behind them and I've seen a lot of stuff. The 400M is a truck engine and I have yet to see a C4 behind one of them as well. A big block will kill a C4 unless you sink some serious money in it. A C6 is what you need if you want it to last. I've played with the C4 enough time and killed enough of them to see there is a better choice. I'm not trying to poke ya in the ribs or anything, just trying keep some money in your pocket and prevent some frustration.

Matt

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
Some drag guys run C4's, but they are faaaaar from stock. I've read of guys twisting stock C4 input shafts in half with a decent 460. They would diiiiiieee behind a 545 or 572. IMO, a good build on a C6 would last most people a long time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals