• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about PCM and tranny

meck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 extended c
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I’ve just swapped a ’97 3.0 v-6 with 4r44e transmission from one ranger to another. The donor engine/tran was running and shifting great when I bought it (I drove it several times for quite a few miles). Now that it is in, the transmission is shifting late and shifts are hard. My question: does the pcm have to relearn the tranny shift points etc. the way it (the pcm) has to relearn the engine strategy? I’ve only driven it a few miles, and it did seem to improve some, but I wanted to check before driving more and maybe causing some damage.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads like PCM is in transmission "Limp mode", you don't have a Check Engine Light(CEL) on right?
And CEL is working?

PCM will go into Limp mode for a number of reasons, but you will almost always get a CEL and code for why.
Limp mode is actually better for the transmission, no slippage, hard shifts and higher RPMs so less Load

meck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 extended c
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The CEL is working, but it is not on. My scanner shows no codes, either set or conditional. I hesitate to start serious testing and tearing into the tran. when it was working so great when I removed it from the donor truck. I think I'm going to drive it some more and see if I can get a clearer picture of its symptoms.

Thanks for your reply.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Your throttle body might be really dirty and causing the hard shifts. Pull it and clean it real well. I have seen many of them needed to be cleaned after a new battery install or complete power loss. The pcm resets back to factory and the dirty tb screws with the air flow. I have seen both hard shifting and low to no idle conditions with a/c on after a battery swap out. Also, check your air filter for obstructions and dirt. My step-dad's buick started shifting hard and the air filter was dirty.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals