• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bleeding a hydraulic clutch line.

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My questions are for bleeding a slave cylinder after the line has been disconnected please. I have a 200 4 cylinder 2.5 engine with a 4 speed with an overdrive manual transmission. When a quick connect line has been disconnected and the clutch peddle has been pressed multiple times while the line is off, is it possible to get air trapped in the master cylinder or line? There has always been fluid in the reservoir. Also when the line is back on and when you gravity feed the system is the clutch peddle pushed in or is it not applied. I do not understand how the check valve works when the line is off or on. lastly what is the best way to bleed the system when all is connected? I understand that you may have to remove the master assemble and bench bleed if you have air trapped in the the system. But with the check valve on the disconnected line would I have to bench bleed the master cylinder? I have watched videos and the questions I have are related. thank you very much.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Most of the time you shouldn't have to touch the master cylinder. Generally, you can bleed it from the valve at the slave cylinder as if it were a simple brake system. Only resort to dealing with the master cylinder if normal bleeding procedures don't work.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
My questions are for bleeding a slave cylinder after the line has been disconnected please. I have a 200 4 cylinder 2.5 engine with a 4 speed with an overdrive manual transmission. When a quick connect line has been disconnected and the clutch peddle has been pressed multiple times while the line is off, is it possible to get air trapped in the master cylinder or line? There has always been fluid in the reservoir. Also when the line is back on and when you gravity feed the system is the clutch peddle pushed in or is it not applied. I do not understand how the check valve works when the line is off or on. lastly what is the best way to bleed the system when all is connected? I understand that you may have to remove the master assemble and bench bleed if you have air trapped in the the system. But with the check valve on the disconnected line would I have to bench bleed the master cylinder? I have watched videos and the questions I have are related. thank you very much.
Curious why you disconnected the lines?

The quick disconnect fittings work like this: They are spring loaded and self seal with plastic seals when disconnected; or they should, but sometimes the plastic seals get stuck and do not spring closed, so watch out for that. You can see the plastic seals inside the lines when you have them disconnected. The line from the master usually has an off white seal, you should not see space between its edge and the brass colored fitting. The slave usually has a black plastic seal, though it may be white, and that should be butted directly against a small metal circle in the center of the slave's brass fitting. When the brass colored fittings get pushed together, the metal tab in the center of the slave fitting pushes the plastic seal in the master line's fitting open, and the seal in the slave fitting gets pushed open simultaneously by the master fitting, now fluid can pass through. A spring in the circumference of the master line fitting locks the two brass colored fittings together.

If they properly sealed when you disconnected them (you'd know if not because brake fluid would continue to stream out from a connection- if that did not happen, you should be ok.

Generally between the slave and master, the slave usually fails first, in my opinion. I have yet to actually have a master fail. The fluid feed fitting and bleeder have o rings to seal them to the slave body, with small cross pins holding each in place. They can leak both where the feed line enters, and where the bleeder line enters, at the o rings. I have had this happen a number of times. Sometimes you don't see a fluid drip, just a tiny bit of wetness where these lines enter the slave. This can 100% cause clutch disengagement issues. I had another slave that leaked from the body itself somewhere, never saw fluid until I dropped trans and then the whole underside of the slave body was very wet.

Your master should not have to be rebled, provided the fitting on the line closed when you disconnected it from the slave. With the master disconnected from the slave, see how much play you have in-and-out on the pushrod going from the clutch pedal to the master cylinder. I believe you want no more than a 1/16" play in that pushrod before you can't push it anymore, hope someone else can confirm that number. With the clutch master disconnected from the slave, you shouldnt be able to push the clutch pedal down really at all, other than the play I mentioned. it should feel like its hydro-locked (because a bled one basically is, there is nowhere for the fluid to go if you push it with the pushrod, unless its air bound, or leaking).

Sounds like you might have air in the master since you are saying you can pump the pedal. Are you saying that with the master disconnected from the slave, you can pump the pedal? Just wanna make sure I read that right

On the best way to bleed the system: there is no great way. Sometimes it will just fight you the whole time. There are a lot of kinks and bends in the assembly that air pockets love to get stuck in. Forcing air downhill is a pain since it is lighter than brake fluid and wants to rise. My best one-person method for in-truck bleeding is this: gravity bleed to start. Then with slave/master connected, pump pedal at varying speeds a dozen or more times. Put a pipe between clutch pedal and seat. Get under truck, pop bleeder open and quickly shut it. Since the pipe is holding the pedal down, you will not suck air in. If the pedal was released with bleeder open, it would be possible to suck air in.

Repeat this process for half an hour or more depending on how much air you might have in there. For master/slave that do not leak, this will bleed the system eventually, I have done it this way in-vehicle a number of times.

If you cannot get clutch to disengage or truck grinds gears, its likely you have a bad (leaking) master or slave in which case replacement is the only fix

Last edited:

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Curious why you disconnected the lines?

The quick disconnect fittings work like this: They are spring loaded and self seal with plastic seals when disconnected; or they should, but sometimes the plastic seals get stuck and do not spring closed, so watch out for that. You can see the plastic seals inside the lines when you have them disconnected. The line from the master usually has an off white seal, you should not see space between its edge and the brass colored fitting. The slave usually has a black plastic seal, though it may be white, and that should be butted directly against a small metal circle in the center of the slave's brass fitting. When the brass colored fittings get pushed together, the metal tab in the center of the slave fitting pushes the plastic seal in the master line's fitting open, and the seal in the slave fitting gets pushed open simultaneously by the master fitting, now fluid can pass through. A spring in the circumference of the master line fitting locks the two brass colored fittings together.

If they properly sealed when you disconnected them (you'd know if not because brake fluid would continue to stream out from a connection- if that did not happen, you should be ok.

Generally between the slave and master, the slave usually fails first, in my opinion. I have yet to actually have a master fail. The fluid feed fitting and bleeder have o rings to seal them to the slave body, with small cross pins holding each in place. They can leak both where the feed line enters, and where the bleeder line enters, at the o rings. I have had this happen a number of times. Sometimes you don't see a fluid drip, just a tiny bit of wetness where these lines enter the slave. This can 100% cause clutch disengagement issues. I had another slave that leaked from the body itself somewhere, never saw fluid until I dropped trans and then the whole underside of the slave body was very wet.

Your master should not have to be rebled, provided the fitting on the line closed when you disconnected it from the slave. With the master disconnected from the slave, see how much play you have in-and-out on the pushrod going from the clutch pedal to the master cylinder. I believe you want no more than a 1/16" play in that pushrod before you can't push it anymore, hope someone else can confirm that number. With the clutch master disconnected from the slave, you shouldnt be able to push the clutch pedal down really at all, other than the play I mentioned. it should feel like its hydro-locked (because a bled one basically is, there is nowhere for the fluid to go if you push it with the pushrod, unless its air bound, or leaking).

Sounds like you might have air in the master since you are saying you can pump the pedal. Are you saying that with the master disconnected from the slave, you can pump the pedal? Just wanna make sure I read that right

On the best way to bleed the system: there is no great way. Sometimes it will just fight you the whole time. There are a lot of kinks and bends in the assembly that air pockets love to get stuck in. Forcing air downhill is a pain since it is lighter than brake fluid and wants to rise. My best one-person method for in-truck bleeding is this: gravity bleed to start. Then with slave/master connected, pump pedal at varying speeds a dozen or more times. Put a pipe between clutch pedal and seat. Get under truck, pop bleeder open and quickly shut it. Since the pipe is holding the pedal down, you will not suck air in. If the pedal was released with bleeder open, it would be possible to suck air in.

Repeat this process for half an hour or more depending on how much air you might have in there. For master/slave that do not leak, this will bleed the system eventually, I have done it this way in-vehicle a number of times.

If you cannot get clutch to disengage or truck grinds gears, its likely you have a bad (leaking) master or slave in which case replacement is the only fix
thanks for the detailed good explanation. I had to replace the O ring and the locking clip because of it becoming disconected due to the clutch rusting engaged because the truck sat for months while I was away. I pressed the clutch and the quick connect came undone. I had to purchase a new slave just for a new locking clip and O ring. I bled the system like a brake bleeding and I have a decent peddle and I can shift. unfortunately doing it alone with a pipe like you have suggested, the peddle came up a couple times while the bleeder was open and it sucked in air and started over this time with clamps to hold the pipe secure. All and all I have a decent peddle aqnd I can drive, but now I want to bleed it with a friend and get it perfect. From your reply and the other I am assuming that I do not have air stuck inside the line coming from the master by disconnecting the line, but i do not know how much air goes into the system when the peddle is released with the bleeder open. My educated guess is that the air does not go too far up the system. To my knowledge the check valve on the line is working, but the fluid from the slave comes out when the line is disconnected. I thought that was normal.I am still unsure if you gravity bleed with the peddle down and then bleed as you would brakes? thanks very much for your information and help. You really gave some good related information.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
I have had the quick disconnect coupler disconnect itself before... quite annoying. I should have mentioned I always brought the driver seat full forward when using the pipe method... never had the pipe pop out, but I used a long pipe so with the seat full forward and a long pipe it probably had the clutch pedal right to its max travel toward the floor/firewall. I apologize for that

Being that air is less dense than brake fluid, what air does come in from having the pedal release accidentally should sit above the brake fluid in the slave and be easy to bleed back out

I don't believe the position of the pedal will affect gravity bleed at all. The master cylinder doesn't act like a valve as far as I'm aware, it just pushes the brake fluid to provide hydraulic pressure that then extends the slave cylinder, push pressure plate springs, and release clutch disk. So you should be able to pour fluid in with slave bleeder open and gravity bleed it that way. As I mentioned before its a pain to try to push air downhill with system in vehicle, but its a good way to start, many people do it, may have to bleed more after

There are companies that sell reverse bleeders that are designed to connect to slave bleeder and push fluid up through system and out of reservoir, idea being that air being less dense than brake fluid it will have an easier time rising than being forced downward, haven't had much luck with them personally

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you have some stubborn air in the system that won't come out try even though it sounds silly... push the pedal to the floor and slip your foot off the pedal, repeat several times (with the engine off or the trans in neutral of course). With the orientation of the master cylinder piston (outlet above the fluid inlet) this helps pull the air out of some difficult locations.

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks

that just about sums it up. thank you

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
If you have some stubborn air in the system that won't come out try even though it sounds silly... push the pedal to the floor and slip your foot off the pedal, repeat several times (with the engine off or the trans in neutral of course). With the orientation of the master cylinder piston (outlet above the fluid inlet) this helps pull the air out of some difficult locations.
That's a great tip I've never heard before. Thanks for sharing.

forzainformer2

Reaction score
If someone hasnt mentioned yet you can also pull the line and bleed it by hand, made my life much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If someone hasnt mentioned yet you can also pull the line and bleed it by hand, made my life much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hello, do you mean pulling the master cylinder from the clutch peddle and bleed it by hand that way. I am not sure what line you mean. thanks

MrJamma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

MrJamma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the clutch master siting in an odd angle, lets air rise and get trapped. you tube it you will see, ITS A BITCH@@@. I am thinking of going to a wildwood setup to make it more user friendly. here is some fitting that may or may not work... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-641001?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-russell-performance&gclid=CjwKCAjwhbHlBRAMEiwAoDA346YGXAze0oQ2UagF6upySfYJM2_BouEL1b5n7b4E8lc6BJ3VrHET2RoCJxgQAvD_BwE.
OH yea... I did mine yesterday, took the master out flipped it to get the air out and re-installed... OMGMFAZBEECH..... https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-Combination-Remote-Fill-Master-Cylinder-Kit,1133.html?sku=70174-875&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CjwKCAjwhbHlBRAMEiwAoDA343voVr_NCPcLmzax4zGFd9ZBm06x5F6oKgPi4j_2s9heVyJCcFRs6hoCvM8QAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals