• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 Ford Ranger XLT Skips and Stalls After Start

kgladin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First time poster but I have gotten a lot of help from this forum in the past and really appreciate you all. My son recently purchased an 89 Ranger. He drove it 3 hours home and spent the majority of the day driving around. Later that night it started misfiring and left him on the side of the road. Got it back to the house and waited until the morning to look at it. It started fine, took it for a test drive, about 4 minutes later did the same thing to me.

I've replaced both coil packs and the fuel filter. Have pressure at the rail. Ran with and without o2 sensor, same result. One can of fuel treatment to rule out bad gas, same result. Can hear the fuel pump at accessory on, even tried while the gas line was disconnected and got gas before the filter.

Basically cold start runs fine for about 3-5 minutes then it starts misfiring, can sometime recover with throttle but will eventually stall. I can get it to restart with same result but if i let it sit for 30min's to an hour it will start and run fine for another 3-5 minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If it is misfiring, it would not hurt to check the resistance of the plug wires. Failing wires can have breaks in the conductor, leading to huge resistance, maybe OL on a meter. That can cause misfire as the spark does not want to jump multiple gaps(basically at the same time...).
Does the IAC provide a fast idle upon engine start from cold? It should give a 1000rpm plus cold idle that drops as the engine warms.
The 3-5 minute time frame points me towards the system going into 'closed loop', where the computer backs off the fast idle, and sets the fuel mix based on input from the O2 sensor among other things. As the engine warms, once certain criteria are met, the computer takes over from 'canned' timing & fuel, to monitored and 'corrected' timing and fuel. I suspect it is going into closed loop and dying. Could be an air leak, could be bad IAC, could be ignition related misfire, could be ???
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals