• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spare tire:

alduane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2001 Ranger Edge 4WD with 245/75R16 tires. I installed a class 3 hitch some time back and I've been unable to get the spare back up into the holder. It's too "fat" and won't go past the hitch. I've looked into getting a temporary spare but I'm having trouble finding a tire and wheel that is the right size and has the correct lug pattern Closest I've come is a 175/90r18 off an Infiniti. It has the correct bolt pattern but the hub center bore is too small. Has anyone else had a problem like this and was able to solve it? I want the spare out of the bed of my truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can run a smaller diameter spare tire

The 4x4 thing about having same size applies to BOTH tires on one axle matching other axles tire size

So having ONE smaller(or larger) tire on either the front or back won't hurt anything

The differentials allow you to go around a corner without dragging a wheel, even limited slip, when cornering the outside wheel spins faster than inside wheel.

So the smaller tire on one side of an axle is the same as going around a corner, wheel spins faster than the other wheel on that axle.
So it is fine to use smaller tire as a spare even using 4WD, until you can get the flat tire repaired

Last edited:

alduane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. For the time being, I'm going with a 175/90 R17 off of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The bolt pattern is different so I've ordered a wheel adapter for it. It's an inch smaller in diameter but like you said it's just to get me home and either get the flat fixed or put the full size spare on.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
hitches with a straight bar interfere with wider tires. on my 2005 a 225/70-15 is a tight fit on the straight hitch I tried today. the curved bar hitch on my 2000 clears a 29 inch tire. the curved style lines up with the plate the spare goes up into.

alduane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is a curved bar hitch and is supposed to be designed to clear the spare. My tires are 30 1/2 and when raised barely clear the tailpipe on one side and the shock on the other. I'm concerned with bouncing and movement of the shock that it might rub.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You may want to consider alternative locations for it. I made a bracket to mount in my receiver hitch. Another idea is a swing-away bumper-mounted carrier. I have also seen people carry their spare on a roof-mounted cargo carrier.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the step-side bed and my spare doesn't fit with my trailer hitch in place.

My plan is to weld up a spare tire mount, connect to the bed where the factory tiedown mounts, on the passenger side closest to the cab.

alduane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You may want to consider alternative locations for it. I made a bracket to mount in my receiver hitch. Another idea is a swing-away bumper-mounted carrier. I have also seen people carry their spare on a roof-mounted cargo carrier.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!
The problem for me with a receiver mount or swing away mount is it being in the way of the tailgate. That would be an excellent solution for a long trip but for everyday use would be a nuisance. As far as a roof mount, once again great for a trip but I couldn't get it in my garage. LOL I'll Wait and see how the adapter works and go from there.

alduane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the step-side bed and my spare doesn't fit with my trailer hitch in place.

My plan is to weld up a spare tire mount, connect to the bed where the factory tiedown mounts, on the passenger side closest to the cab.
Sounds like a good idea. I really want it out of the bed entirely but that would be a good option.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The problem for me with a receiver mount or swing away mount is it being in the way of the tailgate. That would be an excellent solution for a long trip but for everyday use would be a nuisance. As far as a roof mount, once again great for a trip but I couldn't get it in my garage. LOL I'll Wait and see how the adapter works and go from there.
I agree. These are not perfect solutions. I haven't found that yet. Personally, I couldn't imagine slinging my 35" spare up on the roof. It's all I can do to get it in the truck bed or onto my receiver carrier.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The 16" compact spare from my wife's old 1992 FWD Olds Cutlass (T125/70D16) (I never throw anything away) fits on my '02 Ranger, front and rear, same bolt pattern and center hole size.
The 14" regular Olds wheels won't clear the front brakes.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have a 32/12.5-15" tire tucked up in the spare tire area. It does not ft al the way in there like the original tire did. The rear of the tires hangs down about the same as the receiver, so clearance is not a problem. The front of the tire angles down a little but has never been an issue off-road. I go on some pretty rough trails with light rock crawling. I run 33" tires off-road and that gives the truck a little more clearance.
I have a round tube Hidden Hitch receiver which leaves plenty of room for a spare tire. I had to work with the exhaust pipe a little to get enough clearance that I was comfortable with.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Shame they don't make those hitches anymore. I've been looking for one since you mentioned it previously.

alduane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the input. I finally went with a 175/90 17 off of a Grand Cherokee. It had a 5" bolt pattern instead of a 4.5" so I had to buy a wheel adapter and a spacer to make it work but it tucks up in pretty well. It is about an inch smaller but it's only for a get home and put regular wheel on scenario.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals