• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flooding, surging, backfiring

drunyon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 91 2.3 ranger. When driving it, it alternates between full power, and roughly 80% power. Sometimes very rapidly. If I drive it hard, or leave it in gear and coast down a hill, it will sometimes backfire, and most of the time flood and stall. I'm actually assuming it's flooding because of the backfiring. Sit beside the road for 5 minutes and it restarts every time.

What's super weird, is that about 2 weeks ago, after having let it sit for a while, I decided to start it up. It ran flawlessly for about 500 miles, then out of no where, the problem is back.

Could this be a sticking injector? I've replaced the FPR.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

On a 1991 I would suspect the ICM(ignition control module) that runs the coil packs, 1994 and earlier used these for Spark, and they were a know issue as they aged.

ICM is on the front side of the lower intake, it can be tested at most auto parts stores.

Backfiring is more likely misfires being ignited in exhaust manifold by next firing cylinders hot exhaust.
A misfire sends the correct air:fuel mix unburned into the exhaust manifold where it is ignited by next firing cylinder exhaust

Sticking injector is possible for sure, but would expect steady misfire on that cylinder and unbalance air:fuel mix might backfire but more likely for it to just make Cat Converter run VERY hot.

FPR was good choice to change, that would be my first guess, ICM is second guess, lol.

drunyon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the response!

is the icm something that could get better, then worse again? that's what made me think it was more likely a mechanical issue.

i'm sure the backfiring is just a byproduct of an incredibly rich mixture making it into the exhaust.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, ICM can work OK and then not work OK, heat can also effect them, runs better cold than after warmed up, but not always heat specific

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals