• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5l Exhuast Bolt Broken, Replacement Nowhere To Be Found

Clayton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It seems insane that this'd be the case, but I can't find after market or OEM exhaust bolt kits for this truck.

The bolt in question is the farthest back (closest to cab), one of two that holds the EGR pressure feedback sensor. It's causing clacking sound and exhaust flutter sound on startup and until it warms up, then when hitting a bump just right a P0443 code (EGR PFS sensor is confused since it's downstream from the leak.)

Anyways, are these really not available? Are people just using hardware store bolts?

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It seems insane that this'd be the case, but I can't find after market or OEM exhaust bolt kits for this truck.

The bolt in question is the farthest back (closest to cab), one of two that holds the EGR pressure feedback sensor. It's causing clacking sound and exhaust flutter sound on startup and until it warms up, then when hitting a bump just right a P0443 code (EGR PFS sensor is confused since it's downstream from the leak.)

Anyways, are these really not available? Are people just using hardware store bolts?

Forget the bolts with the studded heads.

Woller our the holes on the bracket and put normal bolts through the bracket and the manifold.

What I did, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clayton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Forget the bolts with the studded heads.

Woller our the holes on the bracket and put normal bolts through the bracket and the manifold.

What I did, no issues.
Thanks for the tip.

You don't by chance remember the size of the bolts, do you?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not familiar with 2.5l but you are looking for an exhaust manifold bolt that also has a stud, with different threads, to attach something to it

Something like this: https://www.enterpriseengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/3944655-Exhaust-Manifold-Header-Bolt-with-Stud-Dodge-Cummins-3.9-5.9-4BT-6BT-Turbo-Diesel.jpg

Any muffler/exhaust shop should have what you need by the piece, or set if needed
Take an old bolt with you to match head threads
Auto parts stores should have these as well but not by engine model

2.3l Lima will use the same exhaust manifold bolts, they used the same head as 2.5l, 1989 and up 2.3l with dual spark plug heads

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2.3l Lima will use the same exhaust manifold bolts, they used the same head as 2.5l, 1989 and up 2.3l with dual spark plug heads

Manifolds are different on the 2.3 Lima’s. 94-97 used steel tubing for manifold with spacer tubes where the bolts went, bolts are longer for these years.

Prior years may work as they used a similar cast iron manifold like the 2.5s used.

I know because I run one of these “headers” on my 2000 and had to get the longer bolts. I did what I said earlier and just widened the holes and clamped both the manifold and the bracket in a regular bolt.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good info, thanks

Clayton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I'll check out an exhaust shop to see if they can't help me out with the bolts.

I managed to get the manifold off today, which was a pain, but mostly for those two bolts that hold the EGR Pressure Sensor bracket on. It really seems like a poor design having that little weight hanging on that bracket vibrating through those bolts.

So, yeah, I'm definitely just going to drill out the bracket and use standard bolts.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Probably a good idea to chase the threads in the head and slap some hi temp anti seize on the bolts in case you ever need to remove them again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals