• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 35 sla truetrac diff

pbaalke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK... so a number of suppliers claim that there is a detroit truetrac (like a torsen)is available for the D35 SLA front axle for my 1999 ranger. Anybody here tried this, and if so, how do you like it? Thanks in advance for your input, as i am in the process of putting 4:56 gearing in and a salectable locker in my 8.8, and want to do something to help the front, but don't want a full locker up there. Don't want to keep repairing my front axles!:shok:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

pbaalke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
do you know anyone who has one installed? how do they like it? Is it hard on the D35 axle?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Yes, I have a Torsen in the front to match the Torsen in the rear. They operate the same as a Truetrac. I have a Truetrac on a 69 Fairlane Cobra and can assure they have the same characteristics. For the most part you don't know they are there. They just give you better traction compared to an open axle.

If you want to get nit picky, there are a couple minor things a Torsen does on the front that may let you know it is there. I find on a cold morning, the steering is a little "sticky" on center when starting to turn (this is in 2WD). This goes away after a few miles when the front differential starts to get warmed up. Most people say they don't notice it but being an amateur sports car racer for 30 years I notice little things like that. Also, when in 4WD the steering wheel tries to pull back to center when you are turning while accelerating. It doesn't do it if you are coasting or not putting power to the accelerator pedal. The harder you accelerate the more the steering tries to center. This is more noticeable in higher traction situations like wet pavement. It is near unnoticeable off-road. With power steering it is not difficult to overcome but it can catch you by surprise if you don't know about it.

The only thing in the rear they do that may be considered a slight negative is; when taking out from a stop and turning a corner, it is very easy to get the inside tire to screech a little if you put a little too much power down. This also happens when you are gong around a sharp corner and want to accelerate. It doesn't totally break loose and loose control, it just makes a little screech. It is something I got used to and just learn to modulate the accelerator pedal. Again, this is something many people say they don't notice.

I can tell you the positive benefits of having the Torsen or Truetrac (front and/or rear) very much out weighs the minor little quirks you may or may not experience.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals