• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 2.3 Duratec Dies & Starts dies & Starts HELP!

JackLikesTrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for ideas.

2002 2.3L Ranger 5 speed. Drives great but out of nowhere, sputters quietly for 5 seconds and dies. Got electricity whole time. Pull over and cranks immediately, may take a few seconds to ignite, but she does fire right up. Go a few miles and she'll do it again. May do this 3-5 times in as many miles. No method to the madness. Changed gas, changed fuel filter, fuel relay, fuel pump. After the fuel pump change this weekend, did it just backing out of the driveway. As soon as she died, I checked for the new pump whirring and it did whirr for its 2 seconds like its supposed to.

Darn intermittent problems.

Since it has electricity the whole time, doubt its electrical?

Ideas where to go now?

Kayak Mud Puppy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2007 / 1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you get or have a "check engine light"? If so, pull the codes and that might tell you the culprit.

NXD 5150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005-1987
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3 - 5.0
Transmission
Manual
bump!

I have an 05 2.3 5 speed and im having a similar problem. Replaced the fuel pump a few weeks ago and never had a problem till today. As I was driving and the truck shut off.., the fuel pump had shut off. All I did was hit the fuel pump inertia switch abunch of times and it turned back on drove like 1/2 mile and shut off again. Did the same thing again and drove 10 miles home and it still seems to work fine now.

Any ideas on the problem? Do fuel pump inertia switch's go bad?

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
If its man-made, it can break. Haven't heard of one doing so, but wouldn't rule it out. Maybe age is causing the inertia switch to become oversensitive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals